Error opening jump program file buffer

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
rbmisc
Junior
United States of America

Error opening jump program file buffer

Post by rbmisc »

I am getting this message on one of my channels. It's signal strength is 100%. I was able to get this station in the past. But now I'm not. I have HD HomeRun Plus. When I use the software from HD HomeRun Plus, I am able to get the station.

I looked into the mythfrontend log and think this is what's associated with it.

2015-04-04 11:00:02.918250 E [7318/1811] CoreContext fileringBuffer.cpp:300 (OpenFile) - FileRingBuf(/Volumes/Macintosh_HD/MythTV/LiveTV/1201_20150404155952.mpg): OpenFile(): File too small (0B).
2015-04-04 11:00:02.918300 E [7318/1811] CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:2729 (JumpToProgram) - Player(0): JumpToProgram's OpenFile failed (card type: HDHOMERUN).
2015-04-04 11:00:02.918332 E [7318/1811] CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:2730 (JumpToProgram) - LiveTVChain has 4 entries
DUMMY: 1171 (15:59:45 to 15:59:47)
HDHOMERUN: 1171 (15:59:47 to 15:59:51) discontinuous
DUMMY: 1201 (15:59:51 to 15:59:52) discontinuous
* HDHOMERUN: 1201 (15:59:52 to 16:00:00) discontinuous

2015-04-04 11:00:02.918341 E [7318/1811] CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:2971 (EventLoop) - Player(0): Unknown recorder error, exiting decoder

Has anyone sees had this problem?

Rick
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: Error opening jump program file buffer

Post by pvr4me »

It appears you are recording to your boot drive, which is NOT recommended. How much free space does it have?

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
rbmisc
Junior
United States of America

Post by rbmisc »

I have 2.85TB free
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Please describe exactly what you were doing when you encountered this error. From the log fragment, you were watching live tv and may have changed channels 5 times in 15 seconds.

You are using mythfrontend, right? Please supply the related log.

You say the error occurs on _one_ channel? Are you recording OTA? Please provide a TVFool report for your location and indicate which channel is the problem.

If you set up a scheduled recording with the problem channel, does it work or fail?

It appears you still have a DUMMY tuner defined. As I recommended weeks ago, please use mythtv-setup to delete it.

Craig
rbmisc
Junior
United States of America

Post by rbmisc »

Craig,

I'm just moving between channels using the arrow keys and selecting this channel. It shows Signal 100% (TLAM) Locked. It acts as if it's trying to connect then it displays the dialog box Error opening jump program file buffer. I've also seen a dialog box with Could not read first 2048 bytes.

I am using mythfrontend. (Attached) I've gone into Mythtv-setup and don't see a DUMMY tuner defined. I just have to two tuners. I'm not recording, just changing stations. I get Single Recording Inactive when I try to record anything, this channel or any other channel. TVFool shows more stations than what I can get at this time. WICS (first in the list) is the one I'm having the problem with.

I appreciate your help.

Rick
Attachments
TVFool
TVFool
Radar-All.png (72.52 KiB) Viewed 5305 times
mythfrontend.20150405183209.7792.log
mythtvfrontend
(109.72 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

I get Single Recording Inactive when I try to record anything, this channel or any other channel.
Myth is first and foremost a video recording system. If that isn't working, something must be wrong with the setup or connection of your HDHomerun Plus (the HDTC-2US, which SiliconDust is now calling the "HDHomerun Extend").

Use Myth_Stop_Start to stop the backend, launch MythTV-Setup, go into "2. Capture Cards" and "Delete all capture cards". When you re-add the two HDHomerun tuners, you need to go into "Recording options" and change "Max recordings" to 1. Add the Plus by device ID; not by IP address. Then scan for channels and connect your existing video source to each.

BTW, have you used the web interface to the Plus and tried setting it to different compressions levels (and to no compression)? I have not heard any reports of problems with Myth and the Plus/Extend, so I believe those devices should be plug-n-play. I seem to recall that a few people had problems with their Plus/Extend models running really hot: too hot to touch. Despite the fan running continuously (and noisily). Yours is OK?

Also, exactly what is the network layout with your Mac and the HDHomerun? I know you said wired ethernet, but do you have multiple switches, routers, etc, involved? Are you sure that all the components are known-good? It is quite possible to damage an ethernet patch cable (say stepping on it or running over it with a wheeled office chair) so that it kinda-sort-almost works but has pathetic performance. The logs you've supplied suggest extremely poor network performance but it is not clear where the problem lies.

Craig
rbmisc
Junior
United States of America

Post by rbmisc »

HI Craig,

That didn't help. The iMac and HDHR are connected to the same router via ethernet. The router is positioned on top of the computer cabinet with the HDHR. So the cables aren't even close to being smashed. The HDHR doesn't feel hot to the touch when used.

I upgraded the HDHR recently but the channel was accessed after this. I'm able to access this channel through other applications I have from SiliconDust.

Any other suggestions?

Rick
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

rbmisc wrote:That didn't help. The iMac and HDHR are connected to the same router via ethernet. The router is positioned on top of the computer cabinet with the HDHR. So the cables aren't even close to being smashed. The HDHR doesn't feel hot to the touch when used.

I upgraded the HDHR recently but the channel was accessed after this. I'm able to access this channel through other applications I have from SiliconDust.
I believe SiliconDust recommends that HDHR devices should be no closer than 3(?) feet from a WIFI router. Potential issue?

We can try running the standard SiliconDust network test. From your earlier posting, I believe your problem channel, WICS, is on physical channel 42. Stop mythbackend, then from Terminal issue the following commands:

Code: Select all

mythdhdomerun_config ffffffff set /tuner1/channel auto:42
mythdhdomerun_config ffffffff save /tuner1 null
Let this run for at least 15 minutes. Every second, the program will print a single character. A period (".") means no errors. Other characters indicate problems.

After 15 minutes, stop the test by hitting Control-C. Please copy the output and post it here. When finished, either power-cycle the HDHR or send it the following command:

Code: Select all

mythdhdomerun_config ffffffff set /tuner1/channel none
If you have problems with these commands, the documentation is at:
http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/hd ... opment.pdf

What firmware version do you have? What compression setting are you using?

Craig
rbmisc
Junior
United States of America

Post by rbmisc »

Craig,

Here is what I had to do to get the results you are wanting:

iMac:~ Rick$ hdhomerun_config ffffffff set /tuner1/channel auto:42
iMac:~ Rick$ hdhomerun_config ffffffff save /tuner1 null
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssnsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss^C
-- Video statistics --
1612249 packets received, 0 overflow errors, 2 network errors, 0 transport errors, 43641 sequence errors
iMac:~ Rick$ hdhomerun_config ffffffff set /tuner1/channel none

As you see I had to use another command. The one your suggested wasn't found. It's interesting that this channel does work in with the HD HomeRun software program. The hdhomerun_config_gui program scans to channel 42. When I select View on this, the VLC is started and this tv station is displayed.

Rick

The firmware version is 20150323beta2. I don't know where the compression settings are. You'll have to direct me to that location.

Rick
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Wow. Not what I expected at all. I think you should raise a trouble ticket with SiliconDust and supply that output to them. Perhaps that station broadcasts a oddly formatted stream??

BTW, the mythhdhomerun_config utility should be installed in the same location with the rest of the Myth programs. The first step in the instructions modifies the default PATH in your Terminal environment so that it can be found:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MacPorts#Terminal_and_PATH

Have you moved the HDHR a few feet away from RF sources?

Craig
rbmisc
Junior
United States of America

Post by rbmisc »

Craig,

I have moved the HDHR further from the router.

I ran the test initially on channel 15 and got the "."'s. I am confused as to why channel 42 works with SiliconDust's programs and not MythTV.

Rick
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

We're both confused, then. That's why I suggest involving SiliconDust support. I believe they ought to be able to diagnose the issue.

Craig
rbmisc
Junior
United States of America

Post by rbmisc »

I have contacted them. I have had several email exchanges with SiliconDust but so far haven't determined why MythTV doesn't detect this channel when the View app and VLC both connect to this channel. I have even updated to their latest released software. Is there anyone else that has channel 42 in their area using a HDHomeRun tuner?

Craig, I appreciate all of the help you have given. Hopefully SiliconDust can come up with a solution.

Rick
rbmisc
Junior
United States of America

Post by rbmisc »

SiliconDust has determined that the broadcaster is messing up. They are going to try to contact the tv station's engineer to discuss it with them. In the mean time they suggest I enter a bug report with MythTV because HDHomeRun is ok with playing the channel despite this problem. They don't know why MythTV isn't playing it.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »