Flickering LiveTV

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
leejk
Junior

Flickering LiveTV

Post by leejk »

Hello,

I am using Kodi 14.2RC1 on an Intel NUC to view live TV from MacPorts MythTV running on a Mac Mini. Live TV has always flickered, with the picture being tinted green. Sometimes I can press pause, wait 10 seconds or so, press play and the problem will disappear. Sometimes that won't work and I have to just wait it out. it happens on most all channels. The HDHomeRun tuner is getting great OTA signals. The problem only happens when using Kodi as the viewer; I can use the HDHomeRun viewer software or VLC or the Myth frontend on the Mac, and all play fine. Recordings don't have this flicker either, even if it is flickering on the screen. I've posted about this problem in several forums and finally determined it had to be a Kodi issue until tonight. I installed MythUbuntu in VirtualBox on the MacMini. When I connect Kodi to the backend running on that, I have yet to experience any flickering, so at this point it seems that Kodi is happier with MythUbuntu. I've checked the MacPorts MythTV backend logs for anything that looks like it would cause this flickering, but don't see anything. The downside of running it in a VM is it uses quite a bit of CPU power. I will keep testing, but can anyone guess as to why this flickering is happening?

thx
stuarta
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Flickering LiveTV

Post by stuarta »

It is possible it's related to hardware offloading, ie the vaapi / opengl implementation. Try playing around with whatever options kodi provides and temporarily disabling it, to see what effect that has.
leejk
Junior

Re: Flickering LiveTV

Post by leejk »

Ok, it's definitely a Kodi issue. After a few hours of using the VM last night, the flickering returned. I will try as you suggested.

thx