Automatic Startup/Sleep/Shutdown for Recordings?

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
Nato1978
Newcomer
United States of America

Automatic Startup/Sleep/Shutdown for Recordings?

Post by Nato1978 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:14 am

Hi all,

I'm a new user with a freshly installed MythTV setup, via the MacPorts installer. (PVR4Me, if that's your handiwork, then I thank you for it.) I was using EyeTV until Comcast scrambled the local Clear QAM channels and made my EyeTV Hybrid a lot less useful and my Limited Basic cable subscription a lot more limited. Now I'm running both the backend and frontend on a single Mac mini hooked up to my TV, with help from a SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME.

So far, MythTV seems to be working well, but I've noticed the apparent absence of a feature I'd become spoiled by on EyeTV. Is there any way for MythTV to wake up and sleep/shut down the Mac in time for a recording? I'd rather not leave the computer (and the attached external hard drive) on 24/7 if I can help it. I see that Linux builds of MythTV have workarounds to do this, including an app called Mythwelcome that seems to at least help, but I can't find any evidence that it's available for Mac. Or am I missing something in the settings that ought to be thunderously obvious?

Many thanks,
Nato

pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: Automatic Startup/Sleep/Shutdown for Recordings?

Post by pvr4me » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:09 pm

The devs get the credit for MythTV; I just did the packaging.

I've never played with Myth's sleep/shutdown stuff. OS X and the Mac hardware are pretty good at power management--the new Mini uses something like 7 watts when idle.

Anyone else?

Craig
The MacPorts guy.

dekarl
Developer
Germany

Post by dekarl » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:08 pm

In principle the same mechanism that works on Linux should work on OSX, too. But I have not yet seen a guide on how everything fits together.
You need the correct pmset command invocations to configure the automatic wakeup (after powerloss, in time for recordings, a wrapper to convert the wakeup time between local time and UTC, etc).

I don't know if Mythwelcome has been packaged in the package that you use. In principle it should work on OSX, too. But don't get to attached to it, its on its way out (the functionality being integrated into mythfrontend). So I'd start with setting up the backend part.

pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:06 pm

MythWelcome is packaged in the all-in-one installer; I've never done anything with it other than 'mythwelcome --version'. ;)

Wow, the man page for pmset is a wall-of-text! Nato1978, if you figure it out, post somewhere!

Craig
The MacPorts guy.

Nato1978
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Nato1978 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:32 pm

Alas, I'm not a UNIX warrior like you brave and knowledgable souls. I know just enough about the Terminal (that it is a thing into which you very, very carefully enter commands) to be extremely dangerous. (: I suspect any experiments on my end would result in a smoldering heap of carbon where my Mac used to be. But if I can untangle anything from the info dekarl very kindly posted (thank you, dekarl!), I'll be sure to follow up.

Best,
Nato