HD cable box/capture and IR Blaster solution?

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
hayesk
Newcomer
Canada

HD cable box/capture and IR Blaster solution?

Post by hayesk » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:38 am

In Canada, we don't have CableCard, so the HDHomeRun is out of the question for me and I'm not looking to cut cable at the moment.

Does anyone use MythTV on OS X with a cable box and hd capture device (with IR blaster to change channels)?

If so, what HD capture device are you using, does it require extra software, and does it work well?

Thanks!

pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: HD cable box/capture and IR Blaster solution?

Post by pvr4me » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:33 pm

I understand that Firewire capture works for users in certain areas (Shaw?). However, I don't ship the code for Firewire in the all-in-one installer as it requires a framework that is copyrighted by Apple. I've worked with a couple of people who have compiled Myth (via MacPorts) including Firewire. Seems to work well for them. Also, Cogeco makes 30+ SD channels available in clear QAM in my area; no HD.

Currently, there is no other support in MythTV for encrypted/protected cable sources on OS X. The Hauppauge HD-PVR (component to digital device) is not supported by Myth on OS X as no one has written the code to do so. There is a commercial product, HDPVRCapture, available for OS X. I'm only aware of one user that tried using it to interface with Myth but I believe he gave up due to reliability issues.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HDPVRCapture_on_Mac

I think that most folks in the US would agree that cablecard is a crappy system. It is, however, better than the digital cable situation in Canada.

OTOH, (digital) OTA is fantastic. If you are geographically blessed, you can get both the Canadian and US networks via antenna.

Craig
The MacPorts guy.