MacPorts Install problem

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
BradleyinDC
Junior
United States of America

MacPorts Install problem

Post by BradleyinDC »

Let me say straight off, I'm sure the problem is the dreaded "user error" so here we are.

I'm a competent Mac user but little to no Terminal/command code experience.

I'm trying to install MythTV for the first time using MacPorts (thanks for that!) on a Late 2013 MacBook Pro running Big Sur. Downloaded and ran the installation file, but I get hung up on database configuration: database server setting won't recognize anything I've tried for the hostname. Maybe it's pinging the wrong port (3306)?

Thanks!
Last edited by BradleyinDC on Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhoyt
Senior
United States of America

Re: MacPorts Install problem

Post by jhoyt »

Hi Bradley - any chance you you can provide some more information to help folks troubleshoot?

What version of MythTV are you trying to install?

Are you trying to install everything via macports or via one of the precompiled binaries posted on the SourceForge site?

Is the backend you're trying to connect to on the same mac or is it on another server?
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

You do know that the all-in-one installer is now several years/versions behind, right?

There was a period where Myth had some problems on macOS and so I didn't update the installer. In the meantime, I've pretty much gotten away from using Myth personally and so haven't been very motivated to work on it.

jhoyt has worked on a frontend installer that seems to be working well for some people. He runs the backend (and database) under Linux though.

If you want to put some work in, I'm almost certain we can get you up and running. To start, you'll need to copy/paste the commands you are running in the Terminal and show the related output.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
BradleyinDC
Junior
United States of America

Post by BradleyinDC »

Thanks for the quick replies!

Starting here
sourceforge. net/projects/macportsmythtvinstaller/files/Myth%200.28-fixes%20Mac%20OSX%20Backend%2C%20Frontend%2C%20MythWeb%2C%20MySQL/mythtv.28-0.28.1-Fixes-20170201_1.mpkg/download

Yes I recognized it's not the most recent, but I thought it would be easier to upgrade after installing if that were even needed.

I'm not running anything in the Terminal.
BradleyinDC
Junior
United States of America

Post by BradleyinDC »

Trying to post a screenshot

Don't think it worked, trying this way

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1az8jjtncz4u9 ... M.png?dl=0
Last edited by BradleyinDC on Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BradleyinDC
Junior
United States of America

Post by BradleyinDC »

jhoyt wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:52 pm
Is the backend you're trying to connect to on the same mac or is it on another server?
Yes, everything on the same laptop
jhoyt
Senior
United States of America

Post by jhoyt »

Honestly, that version is so old that I suspect it will have issues running on Big Sur. My guess is some of it is still 32 bit, plus Xcode and its underpinnings are so dated that you're going to hit OS library issues.

If you really would like to run mythbackend on macOS, your two options are to run a dated version installed via macports directly https://ports.macports.org/port/mythtv.28/

OR

Run the build script in packaging https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/tre ... ts_ansible with the "--repo-prefix=/usr/local/bin" and "--generate-app=false" flags to change the install location. Once it finishes building, you'll then fight through setup and configuration of the backend and database which I have never done on macOS (as Craig correctly stated, my backend is on Linux).
jhoyt
Senior
United States of America

Post by jhoyt »

BradleyinDC wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:07 pm

I'm impressed that it got this far! I'd suggest putting localhost/loopback (i.e. 127.0.0.1 in as your hostname). Another thing to check is to make sure the macOS firewall isn't blocking mysql.

A final thing to do is verify that mysql or mariadb (I don't know what they bundled with the installer) is running. A quick way is to run "mysql -umythtv -pmythtv" at the command line. If it doesn't let you log into the database server, you're not connecting because something is wrong there.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

The installer should have started the MySQL database software to run in the background. Please use the Activity Monitor (Utilities) to verify that it (mysqld) is running. In the wiki page, the section "Launch the frontend" shows how to check that "mysqld" is active:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MacPorts#La ... e_frontend

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
BradleyinDC
Junior
United States of America

Post by BradleyinDC »

jhoyt wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:51 am
I'm impressed that it got this far!
Right?! And this >< close! So frustrating
BradleyinDC
Junior
United States of America

Post by BradleyinDC »

jhoyt wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:44 am
Honestly, that version is so old that I suspect it will have issues running on Big Sur. My guess is some of it is still 32 bit, plus Xcode and its underpinnings are so dated that you're going to hit OS library issues.
Hey, if two tin cans and a piece of string work, I'll take it!
Last edited by BradleyinDC on Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
BradleyinDC
Junior
United States of America

Post by BradleyinDC »

pvr4me wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:06 pm
The installer should have started the MySQL database software to run in the background. Please use the Activity Monitor (Utilities) to verify that it (mysqld) is running. In the wiki page, the section "Launch the frontend" shows how to check that "mysqld" is active:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MacPorts#La ... e_frontend

Craig
mysqld is not visible in the Activity Monitor window.
BradleyinDC
Junior
United States of America

Post by BradleyinDC »

jhoyt wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:51 am
BradleyinDC wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:07 pm

I'm impressed that it got this far! I'd suggest putting localhost/loopback (i.e. 127.0.0.1 in as your hostname).
This did not change anything/didn't work
jhoyt
Senior
United States of America

Post by jhoyt »

I'd suggest putting localhost/loopback (i.e. 127.0.0.1 in as your hostname).

Without mysql up and running it definitely won't work. The screen you're stuck on is to configure the settings for the database server (i.e. mysql). If it's not running, getting it running is what you need to troubleshoot.
BradleyinDC
Junior
United States of America

Post by BradleyinDC »

jhoyt wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:03 am
I'd suggest putting localhost/loopback (i.e. 127.0.0.1 in as your hostname).

Without mysql up and running it definitely won't work. The screen you're stuck on is to configure the settings for the database server (i.e. mysql). If it's not running, getting it running is what you need to troubleshoot.
Thanks. I've installed Xcode 12.5.1 and MacPorts 2.7.2