For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: MacPorts Install problem

Post by pvr4me »

Try:

Code: Select all

/opt/dvr/lib/mariadb/bin/mysql -u root < /opt/dvr/share/mythtv/database/mythconverg_init.sql
And again if it works, then try:

/opt/dvr/lib/mariadb/bin/mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | /opt/dvr/lib/mariadb/bin/mysql -u root mysql
Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
BradleyinDC
Junior
United States of America

Post by BradleyinDC »

pvr4me wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:11 pm
Try:

/opt/dvr/lib/mariadb/bin/mysql -u root < /opt/dvr/share/mythtv/database/mythconverg_init.sql
And again if it works, then try:

/opt/dvr/lib/mariadb/bin/mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | /opt/dvr/lib/mariadb/bin/mysql -u root mysql
Craig
Last login: Wed Sep 21 11:25:49 on ttys000
jbradleyjansen@MacBook-Pro-BigSur ~ % /opt/dvr/lib/mariadb/bin/mysql -u root < /opt/dvr/share/mythtv/database/mythconverg_init.sql
jbradleyjansen@MacBook-Pro-BigSur ~ % /opt/dvr/lib/mariadb/bin/mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | /opt/dvr/lib/mariadb/bin/mysql -u root mysql
Warning: Unable to load '/usr/share/zoneinfo/+VERSION' as time zone. Skipping it.
Warning: Unable to load '/usr/share/zoneinfo/leapseconds' as time zone. Skipping it.
jbradleyjansen@MacBook-Pro-BigSur ~ %
BradleyinDC
Junior
United States of America

Post by BradleyinDC »

pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Sure looks like it to me. Where are you at on setup?

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MacPorts#In ... stallation

Craig
BradleyinDC
Junior
United States of America

Post by BradleyinDC »

pvr4me wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:25 pm
Sure looks like it to me. Where are you at on setup?

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MacPorts#In ... stallation

Craig
Exactly where the Dropbox link shows
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Did you actually read and follow the steps on the wiki page that I linked to? The screenshots would suggest you have not. The latest one says "Please run mythtv-setup or mythbackend to update your database." Had you followed the wiki instructions, you would have done both (in the right order).

I'm not getting paid to help you. If you won't provide details on what you've done and what seemed to work and not work, I'm not going to play '20 questions' trying to figure it out. I actually put a tonne of hours into writing up step-by-step documentation to try to help new users. It is pretty damn frustrating to point people to it and then see that they've apparently ignored it.

You've never mentioned which HDHomerun device you're hoping to use. Nor where you plan to get guide information. Nor where you plan to store recordings. Those are all key things needed to get through mythtv-setup. Frankly, mythtv-setup is an exceptionally ugly program--especially if you are accustomed to macOS. The documentation is there but a lot of Mac users find it "challenging".

Craig
BradleyinDC
Junior
United States of America

Post by BradleyinDC »

pvr4me wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:53 am
Did you actually read and follow the steps on the wiki page that I linked to? The screenshots would suggest you have not. The latest one says "Please run mythtv-setup or mythbackend to update your database." Had you followed the wiki instructions, you would have done both (in the right order).

I'm not getting paid to help you. If you won't provide details on what you've done and what seemed to work and not work, I'm not going to play '20 questions' trying to figure it out. I actually put a tonne of hours into writing up step-by-step documentation to try to help new users. It is pretty damn frustrating to point people to it and then see that they've apparently ignored it.

You've never mentioned which HDHomerun device you're hoping to use. Nor where you plan to get guide information. Nor where you plan to store recordings. Those are all key things needed to get through mythtv-setup. Frankly, mythtv-setup is an exceptionally ugly program--especially if you are accustomed to macOS. The documentation is there but a lot of Mac users find it "challenging".

Craig
Yes, I've been following this as everything you've said as best as I can
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki?title=MacPo ... stallation

I posted copy/paste or screenshots of what I've done and the results to be as clear as I can.

"run mythtv-setup or mythbackend to update your database" I have no idea how to do this (which is obviously not explained).

"You've never mentioned which HDHomerun device you're hoping to use." No, I didn't because I wasn't hoping to use one. Nor did you ask.
If you're asking now, I used to use (and was hoping to use again) a Pinnacle TV HD stick.
Guide info from TitanTV Share Token: oQvqkhx7TZddL3343Xvj!MCiGT8oWjBti3OxSC4Bz9OfuqtXmVF38Q
And store on the laptop--I had said, more than once, I was putting everything on the same machine and was planning on using only that.

I am a MacOS guy (which is why I went for the Mac install package even if not the current one), and yes, "challenging" would be a fair way to put it.
BradleyinDC
Junior
United States of America

Post by BradleyinDC »

The linked instructions are not just "challenging" but less helpful now:

Last login: Wed Sep 21 16:18:13 on ttys000
jbradleyjansen@MacBook-Pro-BigSur ~ % mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg
zsh: command not found: mysql
jhoyt
Senior
United States of America

Post by jhoyt »

The command is failing because mysql cannot be found on your user path. Per Craig's instructions, the executable is at
/opt/dvr/lib/mariadb/bin/

You'll need to add it in that users .bashrc file

Alternatively - run

/opt/dvr/lib/mariadb/bin/mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg
You'll need to keep the path in mind while running through Craig's instructions.
BradleyinDC
Junior
United States of America

Post by BradleyinDC »

jhoyt wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:40 am
The command is failing because mysql cannot be found on your user path. Per Craig's instructions, the executable is at
/opt/dvr/lib/mariadb/bin/

You'll need to add it in that users .bashrc file
Thanks, absolutely no idea how to do that.
jhoyt wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:40 am

You'll need to keep the path in mind while running through Craig's instructions.
Thanks. I don't know paths so there's nothing to keep in mind.
BradleyinDC
Junior
United States of America

Post by BradleyinDC »

Last login: Wed Sep 21 22:52:34 on ttys000
jbradleyjansen@MacBook-Pro-BigSur ~ % /opt/dvr/lib/mariadb/bin/mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

BradleyinDC wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:57 am
...I used to use (and was hoping to use again) a Pinnacle TV HD stick. ...
Unless someone has written some 'glue software' to interface that as an External Recorder, that device is not going to work.

Which is what the wiki page says (that you claim to have read):
Pretty much the only Capture Cards that are supported on OS X are the HDHomerun tuners from Silicondust...although some IPTV or HTTP Live Streaming services may also work.
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki?title=MacPo ... eo_Sources

Do you now plan to buy a device supported by Myth on Mac? If so, I strongly recommend that you pay for SiliconDust's PVR solution as well. It is decently supported on macOS and far more likely to work out of the box. EyeTV might now be less crappy than it used to be but SiliconDust is far better.

Craig
jhoyt
Senior
United States of America

Post by jhoyt »

BradleyinDC wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:52 am
Thanks, absolutely no idea how to do that.
Craig's instructions tell you how to do this in the installation step pretty clearly

echo export PATH=/opt/dvr/bin:/opt/dvr/sbin:/opt/dvr/lib/mariadb/bin:$PATH" >> ~/.bash_profile
Thanks. I don't know paths so there's nothing to keep in mind.
I'd suggest you look for a Mac or bash command line tutorial and study up on the basics. Understanding these basics will help you troubleshoot more, and will help Craig and myself try to get you through the install.
BradleyinDC
Junior
United States of America

Post by BradleyinDC »

Since context seems to matter, here goes.

I have had this for I don't know how many years
https://www.woot.com/offers/pinnacle-tv ... ck-for-mac
(actually, not exactly that, but close--mine also includes the antenna that plugs in and it has a 3-in-1 adapter (S-video, yellow video and I forget the other, audio?) that plugs in the side of it not using the coax side).
Similar to this
http://www.manifest-tech.com/images/pc_ ... daptor.jpg

Basically, this, I think, but for Mac
https://www.newegg.com/pinnacle-pctv-hd ... 6815144002

I used this to watch TV on my laptop (especially when traveling) and liked it a lot. Only a very few times did I ever record with it.
EyeTV stopped supporting it a while ago so I forgot about it.

Covid decluttering found lots of old stuff. "The internet" suggested MythTV would work (there were other Linux suggestions, but those aren't for me, as anyone reading this thread can figure out).

I have some, let's say, "legacy" media that I want to digitalize (interviews with now deceased relatives, etc.). I have this stick and something else to convert those (that also used a 32-bit software program that doesn't still work). As long as I was going to try to get one of them to work, I would much rather get the one that works for more than one thing (DOTA TV and legacy media conversion).

I cut the cable cord a long time ago and have an antenna on the roof with lots of DOTA channels. I use TitanTV (Share Token: oQvqkhx7TZddL3343Xvj!MCiGT8oWjBti3OxSC4Bz9OfuqtXmVF38Q) as my channel guide. EyeTV used to use that for me, but it isn't mission critical that MythTV does (it's an open tab on my laptop browser).
Last edited by BradleyinDC on Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.