Starting over with MythTV install on Mavericks

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
FlyingDiver
Newcomer
United States of America

Starting over with MythTV install on Mavericks

Post by FlyingDiver »

I've been unsuccessful getting MythTV to install correctly, using either the stand-alone installer or MacPorts. I think I may have been running into issues because of previous installs of MySQL or mixing up the file paths between the two different install methods.

At this point, what I want to do is wipe out any trace of MythTV on two different machines. Then I want a full MythTV (backend and frontend, plus MySQL) on a headless Mac mini. And a frontend only install on an iMac which doesn't need MySQL (it has MAMP.app, which only starts up MySQL when I'm doing web development work).

What do I need to delete?

Which install process for each machine?

Also, it appears that the MacPorts install uses a different path from the AIO installer. Is there a specific reason it was done this way?

Thanks!
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: Starting over with MythTV install on Mavericks

Post by pvr4me »

FlyingDiver wrote:I've been unsuccessful getting MythTV to install correctly, using either the stand-alone installer or MacPorts. I think I may have been running into issues because of previous installs of MySQL or mixing up the file paths between the two different install methods.

At this point, what I want to do is wipe out any trace of MythTV on two different machines. Then I want a full MythTV (backend and frontend, plus MySQL) on a headless Mac mini. And a frontend only install on an iMac which doesn't need MySQL (it has MAMP.app, which only starts up MySQL when I'm doing web development work).

What do I need to delete?
Before you delete anything, let's just make sure that launchd won't be forever trying to start mysql (or myth). If you do 'sudo launchd list grep org.m', it will list any macports or mythtv daemons. Let me know if there are any and we'll figure out how to unload them.

Also, do you mean that you want to continue to use MySQL for other purposes on the same Mini that will be your backend? That's possible but this will be the first time that I've worked through the process. (IOW, make backups!)
Which install process for each machine?
You need to figure out which version you want to go forward with--either will work. If you want to have XCode installed on these machines for some other purpose, you might as well keep MacPorts installed and use it to install Myth. Otherwise, the installer from SourceForge tends to be simpler.
Also, it appears that the MacPorts install uses a different path from the AIO installer. Is there a specific reason it was done this way?
Indeed, the standard prefix for MacPorts is '/opt/local/' and the installer uses '/opt/dvr/'. The installer is not 'smart' about an existing MacPorts installation. The versions of Myth's support libraries in the installer are frozen whereas MacPorts receives regular updates. If the installer installed into /op/local/, it could overwrite newer libraries with older version and thus break software you've installed with MacPorts. Therefore, it is emphatically recommended that such installers always use a custom prefix. The two can co-exist on one machine but you have to be careful with your PATH to make everything work the say you want. The other problem is that both may need to write things into /Applications/MacPorts/ and /Library/LaunchDaemons -- which makes it more challenging to run Myth on a 'mixed' system. For all practical purposes, you want to choose one or the other.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
FlyingDiver
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by FlyingDiver »

Well, I cleared out the MacPorts install completely on the mini and was able to get it all installed just using MacPorts. There's some rough spots in the install instructions going back and forth between the two web pages, and setting up MySQL correctly.

Unfortunately, I think it was all for naught, at least for now. Somehow, I thought MythTV supported my older El Gato EyeTV Hybrid tuner (which they don't make anymore), but it doesn't. And that's the only tuner device I have at the moment. Bummer.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Patches welcome! ;)

The only other 'tuner' that works on OS X is Http Live Streaming and there isn't a lot of interesting content there.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.