Is mythutil missing from Mac pre-built version?

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
bcourbage
Newcomer
United States of America

Is mythutil missing from Mac pre-built version?

Post by bcourbage »

Hi MythTV for MacOS community. I recently set up Mythtv on a new Mac, by using the pre-built "macport smythtv installer" from http://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/ but I can't seem to find mythutil. This is my first encounter with v28. Has something replaced mythutil, did I miss something in the installation or is it missing from the distro?
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: Is mythutil missing from Mac pre-built version?

Post by pvr4me »

Should be in

Code: Select all

/opt/dvr/bin/
Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
bcourbage
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by bcourbage »

I'm referring to the pre-built versions in Sourceforge packaged inside the MythBackend-0.28-intel-10.9-v0.28-52-ge6a60f7.dmg and MythFrontend-0.28-intel-10.9-v0.28-52-ge6a60f7.dmg disk images. These don't seem come with an installer that will place files in various locations. Instead, they appear to contain only bre-built MacOS apps that the user needs to copy into their Applications directory.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

bcourbage wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:19 am
I'm referring to the pre-built versions in Sourceforge packaged inside the MythBackend-0.28-intel-10.9-v0.28-52-ge6a60f7.dmg and MythFrontend-0.28-intel-10.9-v0.28-52-ge6a60f7.dmg disk images. These don't seem come with an installer that will place files in various locations. Instead, they appear to contain only bre-built MacOS apps that the user needs to copy into their Applications directory.
My mistake. You would have to look inside the application bundles to see if mythutil is included or not.

Craig
BTW, when I first started packaging the all-in-one installer, I emailed the contact for that page hoping we might collaborate. No reply.
bcourbage
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by bcourbage »

I checked inside the bundles and it's not there. I'm going to migrate my application bundle-based installation (that uses the Oracle instance of MySQL) to the Macports install. If you have any cues on how to do that without having to use the mariadb install that myth-core.28 is dependent on, I'd be happy to hear it. When I last tried, I couldn't figure out how to change the socket to use the MySQL socket and ended up concluding it was hard-coded.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

I don't even pretend to be a database admin. I don't know how to get the MacPorts-built Myth programs to address a different socket.

What is the attraction to your existing DB installation? Why not backup from it and restore to MariaDB?

If you want to look into it further, I believe all db access in Myth goes through qt5-mysql-plugin. In MacPorts, there are build-time options to tell it which database manager it is going to be used with and therefore what socket to use. It does not seem to have a config file to allow that to be changed at run time.

BTW, if you were to run the database manager on another machine, I think these problems would go away. In mythtv-setup, you'd supply the ip address of the db manager and I believe it would just work after that. No socket to worry about. Hmm, possibly you can disable socket access in the db config file and then tell Myth to access it via the local host ip address??

Wish I could be more help.

Craig