SOLVED: Missing QuickTime framework

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
warpme
Translator
Poland

SOLVED: Missing QuickTime framework

Post by warpme »

Hi,
If anybody has issue with missing QuickTime framework durring building on macOS:

here is what works for me:

Download https://github.com/phracker/MacOSX-SDKs ... X10.11.sdk
Install sdk in YOur Xcode:

Option1:
1.Place the "MacOSX10.11.sdk" folder in /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs
2.Set Base SDK to "OS X 10.11" for the again target in the Xcode project settings

Option2:
Symlink MacOSX10.11.sdk FrameworksQuickTime.framework to MacOSX SDK used by Xcode:
sudo ln -sf /Users/piotro/Devel/MacOSX10.11.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: SOLVED: Missing QuickTime framework

Post by pvr4me »

The Quicktime issue only happens when building with XCode 10.1, right? And therefore only on macOS 10.13.x and 10.14.x.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Looking more at this...

When I build a recent pull of fixes-29.1 with XCode 9, the following is reported:

Code: Select all

ld: warning: ignoring file /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.13.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks//QuickTime.framework/QuickTime.tbd, missing required architecture x86_64 in file /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.13.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks//QuickTime.framework/QuickTime.tbd
Now, I'm no developer but this is a 64 bit build and there is apparently no 64 bit version of the Quicktime library. So no link.

To confirm, I checked the built library:

$ otool -L libmyth-29.29.0.0.dylib |grep Frameworks
	/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/ApplicationServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 50.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/DiskArbitration.framework/Versions/A/DiskArbitration (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioUnit.framework/Versions/A/AudioUnit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/AudioToolbox (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 492.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/IOKit (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 275.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/QuartzCore.framework/Versions/A/QuartzCore (compatibility version 1.2.0, current version 1.11.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit (compatibility version 45.0.0, current version 1561.20.106)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreVideo.framework/Versions/A/CoreVideo (compatibility version 1.2.0, current version 1.5.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Versions/C/Foundation (compatibility version 300.0.0, current version 1450.15.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/AVFoundation.framework/Versions/A/AVFoundation (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 2.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreMedia.framework/Versions/A/CoreMedia (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation (compatibility version 150.0.0, current version 1450.15.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/VideoDecodeAcceleration.framework/Versions/A/VideoDecodeAcceleration (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/Security.framework/Versions/A/Security (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 58286.31.2)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics (compatibility version 64.0.0, current version 1129.5.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/CoreServices (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 822.19.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/Versions/A/AGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
Nope, no link to Quicktime. Does link to AVFoundation, CoreMedia, CoreAudio and CoreVideo plus VideoDecodeAcceleration. Aren't these the modern replacements for QuickTime?

Does that not mean that the we are unnecessarily trying to link to the Quicktime Framework?

In programs/mythfrontend/globalsettings.cpp, a section says:

#if CONFIG_DARWIN
static HostCheckBox *MacGammaCorrect()
{
    HostCheckBox *gc = new HostCheckBox("MacGammaCorrect");

gc->setLabel(PlaybackSettings::tr("Enable gamma correction for video"));

gc->setValue(false);

gc->setHelpText(PlaybackSettings::tr("If enabled, QuickTime will correct "
                                         "the gamma of the video to match "
                                         "your monitor. Turning this off can "
                                         "save some CPU cycles."));
    return gc;
}
I don't know if it is literally true that gamma correction still wants to use QuickTime. I haven't actually tried that setting in years. I don't recall it ever making a noticeable difference.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
scram69
Newcomer
Guinea

Post by scram69 »

Hi Warpme,

Would you be willing to post your most recent build of the standalone 0.29 frontend app? I'm still using the build you posted in August 2017. It's still working, but I worry each time by Ubuntu backend updates its version of 0.29.1-fixes...

Thank you-