Newcomer
United States of America

MythBackend not starting

Post by tastout »

Struggling newb here!
OS 10.9.4
MythFrontend-0.27-intel-10.7-0.27.2-Universal
MythBackend-0.27-intel-10.7-v0.27-186-g480589a-Universal
I've installed the non-MacPort version via the instruction on http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Mac_OS_X
(On the MacPorts install attempt, I couldn't get past "the back end is running but seems to be busy..." after similarly getting the database and setup done.)
The database is up and running, tables loaded, users set, time zones loaded, etc..
I have successfully run the setup, scanned, set up channels for the HDHomerun Prime, and all seems ready to fire up the back end.
But when I go to launch the back end, the Console is spewing this every 10 seconds (I assume that's due to the restart properties in the MythBackend.plist)
"7/15/14 11:41:53.562 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[380]: (MythBackend[11254]) Exited with code: 135
The front end launches but obviously yells at me that it can't connect to the master back end.

I think I have all the paths, permissions, etc. set correctly, and have gone back over the docs a bunch of times.
Would appreciate any help y'all can give. (Don't really want to punt and go buy a PC to run WMC... :)

Thanks.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: MythBackend not starting

Post by paulh »

Exit code 135 would be GENERIC_EXIT_SOCKET_ERROR so this looks like a networking problem.

I would start by running mythtv-setup and checking the addresses and port you told mythbackend to use is correct for your set up on the first page of the 'General Settings'.
tvdave
Junior
Australia

Post by tvdave »

Do you have a fixed IP on your Mac or are you using DHCP to get an IP address automatically from your router?

I find that using a fixed IP is much more reliable.

Also are you connecting to the backend database using localhost (127.0.0.1) or your IP address?

I had this problem when I needed to switch from wired to wireless lan (the lan socket broke) and MythTV suddenly stopped working because of the different IP address.

Also check the permissions on the SQL database. I have added permissions to my private subnet to allow the backend to connect (otherwise it is limited to localhost).

If you post your network configuration, I can help you with the network side of things.

Dave
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

tastout wrote:...But when I go to launch the back end, the Console is spewing this every 10 seconds (I assume that's due to the restart properties in the MythBackend.plist)
"7/15/14 11:41:53.562 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[380]: (MythBackend[11254]) Exited with code: 135
It would appear that you're using "Method 2" from:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Ma ... Login_Item

Depending on where you saved (and named) the MythBackend.app, you may have to edit the first string in ProgramArguments. Done?

Does that user have a valid ~/.mythtv/config.xml ?

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.