For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: v0.29 Mythtv released

Post by pvr4me »

I was able to trigger the keyboard issues as follows:

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12857#comment:8

The same issue was present in mythtv-setup in various places. Are you running this on a Retina display machine? If so, that might be the cause for the tiny screen display and may be another bug. Is the Display preference panel able to set the screen resolution to a non-retina value?

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

Am running on a 2013 iMac. so, no Retina AFAIK. Will figure it out. Will try some of those combinations to see if mythfrontend is better now. Seems that way, haven't used the mouse yet.
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

So, my findings thus far. I have mythbackend .29 running via non macports compile from source on High Sierra, just part of a day we'll see, and, mythtv-setup works better display wise when using Qt 5.9.3, have not tried 5.10 yet. However, instead, mythfrontend works as it does with Macports myth .28, i.e., menu bar not hidden and dock does not come back after quitting.

However, if I build with Qt 5.5.1, then, mythfrontend works perfectly, however, mythtv-setup displays only a tiny window and you can't use it.

I will try Qt 5.10 next to see if any improvements, while monitoring my build to see if recording, expires, filldatabase, plex, etc. all work. Been half a day, and recording worked, mythfill worked, Roku, Plex worked as frontends, mythwebfrontend, well, works as well as it always did which isn't great. Mythweb from Macports does mostly run with some errors against it due to different protocol. So, looking good.

So, later update, tried Qt 5.10 and it did build, and, runs, but, I get the 1/16th screen resolution, so, only 1/16th of the screen is populated by the text, however, the entire screen is used. I am able to get around that by using -geometry 2560x1440, however, then it's not a fullscreen window and the menu bar is visible. Tried many of the GUI settings to no avail. so, Qt 5.9.3 was somewhat better. Going to move on to Qt versions between 5.5.1 and 5.9.3 to see if any of them work perfectly.

For Craig, I notice that the losing of focus works differently depending on if 2560x1440 geometry is used vs say 2400x1300! That's a strange occurrence, so, this must have something to do with detecting and settings up the fullscreen and other similar settings.
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

Getting closer. So, the latest bulld I have made seems to work with mythfrontend, and, mythtv-setup full screen, restores dock, Myth .29, 10.13 OSX, and, no display or focus issues I have found yet. Looking a lot better! Backend app works also. Not using the community QtWebkit so mythbrowser won't work, and thus hardware profile screen won't work. Not sure that's terribly important.

I have to work on the plugins now to get those working. There might be another loose end.

Craig, I used none of the patches in Macports, no focus patches, etc. So, that's sort of good news. No idea if the build works on earlier OSX versions, next task is to get a virtual Sierra machine setup.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Steve, which version of Qt did you use for this latest build?

Note that mythbrowser, mythnetvision, mythnews, and mytharchive have NEVER (to my knowledge) worked properly on OS X. For example, mythnetvision was introduced in 0.23 in 2010. The developer responsible stated that it was built on and for Linux and shouldn't be expected to work elsewhere. That developer left the project shortly afterwards and I don't think it has ever been modified to working on other platforms--Mac, Windows or BSD(?). OTOH, those first 3 plugins are mostly Python. If a Mac Python developer were to pick them up...

The hardware profile screen is also non-funcitonal on OSX. It depends deeply on some Linux-only stuff so it would take major surgery to get anything similar running on other platforms.

Personally, the plugins aren't very interesting. Most Mac users have simpler ways to get weather, play music or do a slide show. For the first two years that I packaged Myth with MacPorts, I didn't supply any plugins and I don't think anyone mentioned it.

Craig
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

I ended up using Qt 5.7.0 downloaded from the Qt site. We'll see about those plugins. I might play with them a bit.
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

mythnews seems to work fine for me.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Are you going to make your build available somewhere?

Craig
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

Definitely, right now working on plugin issues. Then, going to test if it runs on virgin Sierra machine. A few other minor details. I have seen 2 spots where kb loses focus, spots I never go to, I think they have always been there. I’d like to gen up a virgin linux machine as well to compare frontend to. So, many hours to go. Also working with another builder who is getting some errors but he is building vs master. Changed to Qt 5.8.0 and all is still well. Just want to clean up as many issues as I can in a reasonable timeframe. Also, an issue with metadata which is a few missing python pieces. I’ve corrected at least a dozen issues with the build script.
Gribnif
Junior
United States of America

Post by Gribnif »

sfatula wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:03 pm
That being said, I can't run mythtv-setup as I get a little tiny window only and can't read a thing since it's all cut-off. Trying to solve that one.
Your default settings might be off somehow. Try running it from a Terminal prompt with "--geometry 1024x768" or the like appended.
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

Qt 5.9+ simply have some bugs on High Sierra. Works fine with Qt5.8.0
dutchhome
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by dutchhome »

For what it's worth, if anyone else was waiting for an updated build script to be posted or an updated app bundle, it turns out warpme posted an updated git-master frontend a few weeks ago that works fine with the current Arch backend. So for now, I'm able to wait until progress is made here.

I'm still happy to set up an automated build system to help us catch problems early once we have a build script ready - either macports or standalone scripts (or both).
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

dutchhome wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:55 pm
For what it's worth, if anyone else was waiting for an updated build script to be posted or an updated app bundle, it turns out warpme posted an updated git-master frontend a few weeks ago that works fine with the current Arch backend. So for now, I'm able to wait until progress is made here.

I'm still happy to set up an automated build system to help us catch problems early once we have a build script ready - either macports or standalone scripts (or both).
Automated build system? You mean like the existing Mac buildbots?

https://code.mythtv.org/buildbot/builds ... ster-64bit

For those that don't know, Myth has a farm of buildbots running various operating systems. Every time a change is committed to the git repository, the relevant group of buildbots will pull the new code and do a build. If there are any build failures, the responsible developer is notified. However, the binaries produced from a successful build are not packaged or made available for download. The purpose of the buildbots help ensure that Myth continues to build on various platforms.

If someone wanted to contribute a buildbot running a more recent version of OS X, that would be a good thing!

Craig
dutchhome
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by dutchhome »

I figured they had this for other platforms, but I didn't realize it existed for OSX (although I'm also not surprised). Yes, I'm happy to dedicate a VM as a build bot client / slave. I have iso's for all recent OSX versions, so just let me know which one you prefer I set up. I figure either Sierra or High Sierra?

How would I go about setting this up? I looked just now at the wiki entry (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Buildbot_Network), but it doesn't have much info on setting it up on a Mac. I've struggled to build manually, so I'm guessing I need to wait until we have an updated set of dependencies for me to install.

BTW, I would set up more VM's, but Apple only legally lets us run 2 VM's at a time. If we can automate the process of bringing up a vm, running the build, etc, shutting down, and starting the next one, then I can set up as many as will fit in 1 TB or so with different combinations.

Edit: As I look into the buildbot stats it looks like what I was describing wouldn't work. I guess I would need to leave the instance running for it to get the request to build. Getting one set up is probably enough for now and I can try to get fancy later.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

I would think that a Sierra or High Sierra buildbot would be a very good thing. Jump on IRC and see what stuarta thinks:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/IRC

Basically, the build slave has a MacPorts instance where I installed MythTV to get all the dependencies. I then uninstalled Myth and we messed with buildbot so it would call the appropriate steps (fetch, configure, build, test, etc) using the necessary bits from the MacPorts environment.

Because I was using an old machine, I had to jump through some extra hoops to get Qt to install successfully (libc++ v. libstdc++). You should not need to do that. Unfortunately, I don't think I documented very well how I got to a working setup. I had some notes; I'll look around for them.

Also, I made no provision to upgrade the MacPorts environment on a regular basis. All of the dependencies are frozen in time from when I set it up. I think it should auto-update at least monthly.

On the plus side, it has needed almost no care and feeding over the last 2 years. I think I had to reboot the machine once or maybe twice. Not bad for an old Core2 Duo with 2 GB RAM running Lion!!

Craig