v0.29 Mythtv released

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
blackarrow
Newcomer
Australia

Re: v0.29 Mythtv released

Post by blackarrow »

Hi Craig,
After a long hiatus without myth I have tried to re-build mythtv 0.28 from macports and have found that configure thinks QT 5.10 is too old (older than 5.2):

:info:configure found qmake at /opt/local/libexec/qt5/bin/qmake but version failed
:info:configure got version: QMake version 3.1 Using Qt version 5.10.0 in /opt/local/libexec/qt5/lib
:info:configure qmake for Qt5.2 or newer not found.
:info:configure Please specify the correct qmake with --qmake=
:info:configure If you think configure made a mistake, make sure that you are using the latest
:info:configure version of MythTV from git. If the latest version fails, report the problem to the
:info:configure mythtv-dev@mythtv.org mailing list or IRC #mythtv on irc.freenode.net
:info:configure Include the log file "config.ep" produced by configure as this will help
:info:configure solve the problem.
:info:configure Command failed: cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_multimedia_mythtv.28/mythtv-core.28/work/mythtv-0e079696/mythtv" && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --compile-type=release --qmake=/opt/local/libexec/qt5/bin/qmake --cc=/usr/bin/clang --cxx=/usr/bin/clang++ --extra-ldflags='-framework ApplicationServices' --python=/opt/local/bin/python2.7 --disable-mythlogserver --disable-ceton --disable-firewire --disable-audio-jack --disable-indev=jack --disable-audio-pulseoutput --disable-gnutls --disable-libcec --disable-libpulse --disable-libvpx --disable-libxcb --disable-libxvid --disable-lzma --disable-openssl --disable-qtdbus --disable-sdl --disable-systemd_notify --disable-videotoolbox --disable-xlib --disable-xrandr --disable-xv --enable-iconv --enable-fft --enable-libbluray --enable-libcrypto --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libass --enable-libx264 --enable-libfaac --enable-nonfree --enable-libx265 --enable-securetransport --enable-vbox --enable-vda --enable-zlib --disable-ccache --disable-distcc
:info:configure Exit code: 1

Anything we can do about this?

Thanks, Hamish
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

I just noticed yesterday that Qt was updated to 5.10 on MacPorts. I think it is possible to deactivate all the 5.10 modules and install 5.9 versions. That ought to get you going.

I believe I've read that Qt 5.9 is a long term support version. I don't know enough now to say if we should stick to that version for some time or if there will be advantages to keeping up to date.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
dutchhome
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by dutchhome »

http://blog.qt.io/blog/2017/05/11/intro ... rt-qt-5-9/

Good memory! BTW, I also ran into this problem with Qt 5.10 and simply updated the regex check to correctly identify 5.10 as being ok. I had other problems compiling .28, so I'm still not sure what the magic combination is to get it to compile ok.
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

From looking at the qt bug reporter system, it would appear 5.9 is a bad choice to keep using, at least for High Sierra since it's not a supported version. So, I would think therefore that 5.10(.1?) is a better choice once High Sierra is officially supported.

Meanwhile, mythtv.29 might be useful to do as it apparently has some bug fixes for some of the gui issues?
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Re 5.9 v 5.10, it is not clear to me which one will support High Sierra first. 5.9 is a Long Term Support release so it would make no sense for High Sierra to _not_ be a supported platform. OTOH, 5.10 is more free to make changes so perhaps that version will be first to be officially supported on High Sierra. Right now, MythTV fails to build with 5.10. Seems to be a simple issue with not recognizing that ".10" is newer than ".9". But maybe there is more to it than that.

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13197

Re the gui, in my preliminary testing, Myth 29.0 had worse bugs than 0.28. Myth has always been designed that a simple remote control can be used to perform any function in the user interface. Basically with as little as the 4 arrow keys, Menu key and enter. When testing, Myth would stop responding to key presses after performing certain functions. Especially in mythtv-setup. To resume, I'd have to click the screen.

With various personal matters, I haven't had time to do much testing to find a repeatable way to trigger the problem. It may also have been solved a more recent version of Qt. Again, I haven't re-tested. Because of my slow progress, one of the devs closed the trouble ticket. That was a bit disheartening.

Craig
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

I see. Well, do you ever compile mythtv on your own outside of macports? I see there is a build process. However, there is no git files for the packaging for 0.29.

It does sound more like qt to me than anything myth coders did, there simply aren't fundamental changes that I see at least.
dutchhome
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by dutchhome »

sfatula wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:34 pm
I see. Well, do you ever compile mythtv on your own outside of macports? I see there is a build process. However, there is no git files for the packaging for 0.29.
Currently I have been unable to compile .28 or .29 with macports or the mythtv/packaging script. I have now tried on El Capitan, Sierra, and High Sierra with various versions of XCode and Qt.

Craig, would it be possible for you to post a current pre-compiled build of fixes/29? The one posted previously in the forums does not support the current stable mythtv db version. It seems you may have an environment that is currently able to build.
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

I have built it several times now using Macports, however, not in the past month or so, perhaps something has changed. Been using myth on High Sierra for a couple of months, and before that, on Sierra. I want to build it however using https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Mac_OSX_build if possible, so, was asking Craig if he has succeeded (he said in his testing of 0.29 for which there is no current build). I'd like to make a 0.29 outside of Macports on the site so others can download. Soon, I will have more time to do things like this. If Craig is on holiday, I might just go down that road for those that do not want to build on Macports. Likely, it will be a long road to make it work properly without the git file, but, I can do it.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Check with @warpme -- he periodically builds a bundled frontend app for master and v. 29 with a modified osx-packager script. I suspect he would do an up-to-date build with a little encouragement.

I have built 29 with an unreleased MacPorts portfile. It builds successfully but as I mentioned above, I found UI problems when testing. I'm reluctant to commit the port until I can get a better handle on the problems. (And I've been inundated with family issues throughout much of 2017.) Hopefully I can make some progress on this in January. (Notice that I didn't specify which year! :oops: )

Re Qt 5.10, some of the build problems were identified a few months ago but the patches haven't been committed. See:

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13122

The ticket I linked to earlier suggests that the patches in 13122 may not address all the problems with Qt 5.10.

Craig
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

Can you email me the un-released 0.29 portfile so I don't need to recreate it myself?

Looking at the official osx-packager.pl, it appears this is very very old and would take some effort to bring up to date, most all of the dependencies are long gone or obsolete, can't be downloaded, etc.. Would be much easier to simply use Macports to make the build.
dutchhome
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by dutchhome »

Maybe just commit it to a forked github branch so we can look at it together? I think we have a few people willing to help identify problems and resolve them.
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

So, I got myth .29 built and am in testing, lots of issues but my script appears to work thus far. I am also trading info with warpme as he has different issues than I it appears, we'll see. I don't have the firewire sdk if someone has it? I personally do not need it, but, would be nice to add to the build script correctly. Seems to be a lot different building on High Sierra than Sierra.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

I take it you are building the bundled app with warpme's script? Both frontend and backend? It would be nice if one of you could get the fixes submitted to Myth's bug tracker.

AFAK, only one person ever used Myth on Mac with Firewire and that was years ago. Is there somebody new that wants to do this? BTW, as I read it, the Firewire framework was copyrighted by Apple and distributing it would be a violation.

Craig
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

I got it to build via my own modified script (and time!), yes, both front and back. Still debugging, I believe I found some code changes needed. I then contacted warpme to see if we could collaborate as he had different issues in the hopes that we could get both of us going. He is building master, I am building 29. I think it's solvable.

I do indeed plan to use bug tracker.
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

Curiously, I do seem to have mythfrontend running just fine with no gui issues I can spot. Craig, do you have a specific spot where keyboard control always fails in mythfrontend that you are using? Give me exact sequence. Also, fullscreen is working, and, the problem with dock is not there either.

That being said, I can't run mythtv-setup as I get a little tiny window only and can't read a thing since it's all cut-off. Trying to solve that one.