v0.29 Mythtv released

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
gsulshski
Junior
United States of America

v0.29 Mythtv released

Post by gsulshski »

Greetings, I see that mythtv v0.29 has been released.

I build my own version of mythtv via macports. I was wondering what the "plan" is for release and testing for OSX.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: v0.29 Mythtv released

Post by pvr4me »

Yes, the Release Candidate phase was over in the blink of an eye! ;)

I am planning to create a mythttv.29 port. Unfortunately, I may not have much available time over the next 4-8? weeks. (I'm selling a house.) I expect that getting 29.0 to build should not be that difficult. I want to test it in a virtual machine for a little bit before setting it loose. If someone wants to help with that, that would be great.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_29

Looking at the Key New Features and Major Changes, there are a couple of things that need to be tested on OS X. The UI changes in mythtv-setup _should_ be a non-issue (famous last words). However, I don't have an IPv6 environment so it would be helpful if someone else could confirm that all is well there.

I don't anticipate a new all-in-one 29.0 installer for at least a couple of months. Want to let any bugs shake out before diving into that exercise.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
gsulshski
Junior
United States of America

Post by gsulshski »

I can help do some testing of the Macports release and I am not in any rush. Latest mythtv 0.28.x runs just fine for me.

I would be more motivated to do testing when I migrate to High Sierra.

I cringe at the mythtv-setup list of changes.

I don't have a ipv6 setup nor Blurays .
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

[delete double post]
Last edited by pvr4me on Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

I've started on a port of MythTV 29. mythtv-core.29 and mythtv-plugins.29 build, install and run successfully. From a quick round of testing, however, there are a couple of issues.

The settings screens in mythfrontend can become unresponsive to arrow/tab keys. See https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12857. To get around this problem, I have to have a mouse available to click somewhere on the screen. Myth has always been designed for '10 foot use' and thus should not rely on mouse input. Perhaps there is a simple solution since this is quite pervasive in the new settings screens.

I also ran into an issue where I couldn't set up a virgin system while my production system was running elsewhere on the network. See https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13090. Not a huge problem but the error logs led me down a bit of a rabbit hole.

Personal preference, but to me not all the changes to mythtv-setup and mythfrontend's settings screens are positive. In mythtv-setup, some actions take many more steps (eg editiing a channel to add XMTVID). Also, we're asked to confirm whether to save or abandon changes A LOT. It seems to me that the old mythtv-setup almost never asked for confirmation while the new one asks far too often. Using the channel editor was especially painful.

One change has me confused, too. In mythfrontend 0.28, Setup > Video > Playback, screen 3/10 "Playback Profiles" would let me tweak the number of CPUs that the decoder should use. I don't see how to do that in 29.

I really didn't test the plugins but then I almost never use any of them in real life. I do listen to internet radio once in a while so I'll have a go at that.

Re the blueray disc - java support (BD-J), I don't know if I can support it. Note that it has been many years since an Mac OS can with Java. I'm not sure what has to be installed to enable this feature. Honestly, I don't know what we're missing without the feature. I don't have a bluray capable drive in the house.

If anyone wants to get an early jump on testing 29 via MacPorts, get in contact. I'm going to hold off commiting the port to MacPorts for a while. Hopefully we can make some progress on the above bug reports first.

Craig
gsulshski
Junior
United States of America

Post by gsulshski »

Now that HIgh Sierra is out officially, I am interested in upgrading my server to High Sierra and I would consider testing both v0.28 in High Sierra and then migrate/test to v0.29 if that is stable for Mythtv. I having been building Mythtv vs using the prebuilt version.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

gsulshski wrote:Now that HIgh Sierra is out officially, I am interested in upgrading my server to High Sierra and I would consider testing both v0.28 in High Sierra and then migrate/test to v0.29 if that is stable for Mythtv. I having been building Mythtv vs using the prebuilt version.
GitHub made a change to the way they generate tarballs and because if this, mythtv-core.28 fails to build. (Claims there is a checksum mismatch.) Easy to fix but I'm in the midst of closing a house sale so I really won't have any time for the next two weeks and likely a bit longer. I also haven't tested 0.28 with High Sierra.

There have been some reports of software failing to build on High Sierra with XCode 9. MacPorts has set up a High Sierra buildbot and it is churning away through thousands of ports. Port maintainers get notified if a port fails to build. In a few days we'll know if Myth's key dependencies (Qt 5, MariaDB, etc) are OK or not.

Craig
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

Just an FYI - mythtv 0.28 does not currently build via Macports on High Sierra without fiddling with it a bit. There's also a gui issue with mythfrontend when you do get it to build. There is no urgency to rebuild since it kept running even without rebuilding. So, my suggestion if you do go to High Sierra is to wait for fixes before rebuilding if using Macports. I sent what I encountered to pvr4me.
gsulshski
Junior
United States of America

Post by gsulshski »

Thanks for the update. I moved to High Sierra and see that I can't rebuild 0.28 so I will wait.
blackarrow
Newcomer
Australia

Post by blackarrow »

Hi Craig,

The checksum issue is affecting me, as after High Sierra my myth backend would not communicate over ipv4 and I tried to rebuild it from macports without success because of the checksum -> no myth server. We are doing ok-ish using streaming but would like to get Myth going again.

Could you advise if there is something I can do in the interim whilst awaiting a repackage of the port?

Thanks,
Hamish.
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

Note that macports has changed over to apache 2.4 which now causes lots of issues with mythweb, have submitted my findings to Craig the maintainer. I have it working, but it took quite some time. I would suggest anyone wait for an updated mythweb port.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

sfatula wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:29 pm
...I would suggest anyone wait for an updated mythweb port.
Another option is the built-in WebFrontend: http://<backend>:6544
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

Yes, no doubt. There's just a number of things it doesn't do yet, so I myself still use Mythweb. It will get there though. And of course, the option to not use either!
gsulshski
Junior
United States of America

Post by gsulshski »

I have been running v0.28 Mythtv on High Sierra ( I use mythtv backend and Kodi as the front end) and it seems as functional on High Sierra as SIerra.

I am still interested in move to v0.29 and test it out.

I would build mythtv.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

I've fixed a bit of bit rot over the last few days. The checksum problems with 0.27 and 0.28 should now be fixed. The ports are now using Perl 5.26 (rather than 5.24) to stay in line with the rest of MacPorts. I think I've fixed MythWeb.27 and MythWeb.28 for the layout changes in the now-current version of Apache2 on MacPorts. Etc.

I intend to mark myth 0.25 and 0.26 both as obsolete. They are no longer receiving any fixes (nor is 0.27) so it is time they were retired.

I still don't have a High Sierra environment yet. I'm mostly going to rely on others to test there for the time being.

AFAICT, none of the problems/concerns I found in Myth 29 (see above) have been addressed yet. When I get this backlog of housekeeping cleared up, I'm going to have another go with it.

Craig