MythTV won't install on Sierra

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
WA1OUI
Newcomer
United States of America

MythTV won't install on Sierra

Post by WA1OUI »

I'm running macOS 10.12 and have followed the instructions in the wiki for OS X (macOS now, I guess!). I've set up my mysql server and downloaded MythTv 0.28. I put the setup, backend and other apps in my Applications folder. The first time I ran MythTv-setup I got as far as choosing language and country, and the program crashed. Now when I try to run it the icon appears in my dock, the dock disappears(!) and then when it returns the MythTV icon then disappears. I've tried deleting

app.org.osx-bundler.MythTV-Setup.playlist and

org.osx-bundler.MythTV-Setup

who's existence I discovered with "AppCleaner", but it made no difference.

Are there any other config files I can delete to try to put my system back to it's "original state", or any other thoughts?

Thanks.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: MythTV won't install on Sierra

Post by pvr4me »

You have an HDHomerun tuner box?

I take it you were following:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Mac_OS_X

I see that page still says to get MySQL version 5.1. That is really ancient.

Whatever database server version you installed, it would have set it up so the server software runs in the background all the time. Possibly it installed a Preference Panel in System Preferences that allows you to start and stop the server software. Do you have anything? Does the .dmg provide an Uninstall option?

If you want to try another approach to Myth on OS X/macOS, have a look at:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MacPorts

I'm biased, I put together this all-in-one installer. If you follow the cookbook instructions on that page, it will work. I'm also a couple of weeks away from releasing a 0.28 all-in-one installer. (At least I hope it is a couple of weeks!)

One other small item. If you get the mysql db server stopped and install from my all-in-one, there is one more file that needs to be deleted or it will interfere:

Code: Select all

/Private/etc/my.cnf
Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
WA1OUI
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by WA1OUI »

Thanks so much for your reply.

I do have a technical tech support and programming background.

In answer to your questions:

I have an HDHomerun Connect which is currently working with EyeTV, although I was hoping to replace that package with MythTV.

I successfully (I hope) installed mysql 5.715 and can start and stop the process via the prefpane, and have made the changes in the mysql db outlined in the instructions. I can see the process in Activity Monitor.

My problem (or at least symptoms) weren't from mysql, but the MythBackend-0.28-intel-10.9-v0.28-52-ge6a60f7.dmg file I used to install, downloaded from SourceForge. I copied the files in the dmg to Applications...

MythTv-setup ran once and I was able to get as far as choosing language and country before it crashed. Starting it again has the icon bounce on the dock for a second, makes the dock disappear for another second, and then unhides the dock as the mythtv-setup icon then disappears itself. The mythtv-setup process does start and run but then disappears a second or so after the icon disappears for good. That is why I tried to remove all the dependencies from the mythtv-setup app.

I'm more than happy to try your installer, but have several questions before I start:
1) Will my mysql install and partial install of mythtv backend pose a problem to your version?
2) Does your planned 0.28 installer overlay the 0.27 version if I do install it, or are the changes not important enough to warrant the update?

Thanks so much for your help.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

WA1OUI wrote:Thanks so much for your reply.

I do have a technical tech support and programming background.

In answer to your questions:

I have an HDHomerun Connect which is currently working with EyeTV, although I was hoping to replace that package with MythTV.

I successfully (I hope) installed mysql 5.715 and can start and stop the process via the prefpane, and have made the changes in the mysql db outlined in the instructions. I can see the process in Activity Monitor.

My problem (or at least symptoms) weren't from mysql, but the MythBackend-0.28-intel-10.9-v0.28-52-ge6a60f7.dmg file I used to install, downloaded from SourceForge. I copied the files in the dmg to Applications...

MythTv-setup ran once and I was able to get as far as choosing language and country before it crashed. Starting it again has the icon bounce on the dock for a second, makes the dock disappear for another second, and then unhides the dock as the mythtv-setup icon then disappears itself. The mythtv-setup process does start and run but then disappears a second or so after the icon disappears for good. That is why I tried to remove all the dependencies from the mythtv-setup app.

I'm more than happy to try your installer, but have several questions before I start:
1) Will my mysql install and partial install of mythtv backend pose a problem to your version?
2) Does your planned 0.28 installer overlay the 0.27 version if I do install it, or are the changes not important enough to warrant the update?
I can't help with your questions about the bundled version of mythtv-setup. (Lacking better labels, I call the version you've been trying the "bundled" version and mine the "all-in-one installer".) I haven't tried it, let alone on Sierra. Perhaps others can chime in?

Re 1), that's why I asked if there is an Uninstall option and noted that the /Private/etc/my.cnf must be deleted. Even if you just stop your version of MySQL (and delete its my.cnf), it will have no effect on the all-in-one version. Using the defaults, MySQL 5.7 and MariaDB 5.5 can't be running at the same time or they'll fight over port 3306.

2) Yes, some of my beta testers have installed 0.28 over a 0.27 installation. That has worked fine, so far. Only you can decide if the changes in 0.28 are important to you. Right now, I don't find the upgrade earth-shaking. With a few more fixes to the new WebFrontend, I think might be very useful for viewing via iPad. That function (HLS) isn't working for me right now but the foundation seems to be there.

More info on 0.28:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.28

Craig
WA1OUI
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by WA1OUI »

I'll do as much cleanup of my old install as I can, stop mysql and deleting the file you mentioned, and give your all-in-one a try. Sounds great. Thanks for the super quick replies.
WA1OUI
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by WA1OUI »

Craig,

We're getting closer. I used your package and think the sql and config are right. My problem now is that I can't connect to the HDHomeRun. I start backend in the terminal and it immediately stops... I get two choices when I try to enter the HDHomerun either by the IP address when I get the error from Backend:

2016-10-02 18:28:37.991960 E TVRec[17]: Problem finding starting channel, setting to default of '3'.
2016-10-02 18:28:38.008471 E InitializeInputs():
Could not get inputs for the capturecard.
Perhaps you have forgotten to bind video
sources to your card's inputs?
2016-10-02 18:28:38.009905 E ChannelBase: CreateChannel() Error: Failed to open device 192.168.0.38-0
2016-10-02 18:28:38.009934 E Problem with capture cardsCard 17failed init

or by the device when I get this error:

2016-10-02 18:36:10.114540 E TVRec[21]: Problem finding starting channel, setting to default of '3'.
2016-10-02 18:36:10.128656 E InitializeInputs():
2016-10-02 18:36:10.130443 E ChannelBase: CreateChannel() Error: Failed to open device 10411F9B-0
2016-10-02 18:36:10.130472 E Problem with capture cardsCard 21failed init

I have two tuners in the unit, but this seems to show four, two each with the same number.

I am also questioning my download from Schedule Direct as they don't show up in the config setup.

Are there any config files I can look at?

Thanks for your help

David
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

WA1OUI wrote:We're getting closer. I used your package and think the sql and config are right. My problem now is that I can't connect to the HDHomeRun. I start backend in the terminal and it immediately stops... I get two choices when I try to enter the HDHomerun either by the IP address when I get the error from Backend:

2016-10-02 18:28:37.991960 E TVRec[17]: Problem finding starting channel, setting to default of '3'.
2016-10-02 18:28:38.008471 E InitializeInputs():
2016-10-02 18:28:38.009905 E ChannelBase: CreateChannel() Error: Failed to open device 192.168.0.38-0
2016-10-02 18:28:38.009934 E Problem with capture cardsCard 17failed init

or by the device when I get this error:

2016-10-02 18:36:10.114540 E TVRec[21]: Problem finding starting channel, setting to default of '3'.
2016-10-02 18:36:10.128656 E InitializeInputs():
2016-10-02 18:36:10.130443 E ChannelBase: CreateChannel() Error: Failed to open device 10411F9B-0
2016-10-02 18:36:10.130472 E Problem with capture cardsCard 21failed init

I have two tuners in the unit, but this seems to show four, two each with the same number.

I am also questioning my download from Schedule Direct as they don't show up in the config setup.

Are there any config files I can look at?
Don't start the backend from the terminal; use the Myth_Stop_Start helper to load/unload it from launchd.

Just to be clear, there are several steps that have to be completed in mythtv-setup before starting the backend. Check the following wiki page:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_Dual

(The page is a bit out of date but gives a decent you-get-the-idea outline.)

The error message suggests that you haven't connected a video source to your capture card (aka HDHomerun tuner). I believe you have to be using broadcast OTA which means you must also do a channel scan. Have you signed up for the free trial with Schedules Direct?

Craig