MacPorts and Myth 0.28

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

MacPorts and Myth 0.28

Post by pvr4me »

Hi:

So I've been plugging away at MythTV 0.28 via MacPorts for the last couple of days. My aim is to create another all-in-one installer for the fixes branch of MythTV 0.28. I'd like some input on Mac OS X versions.

For Myth 0.28, 10.6 Snow Leopard is dead. The Qt 5 support libraries can not be made to run on this OS.

Support for 10.7 Lion could die at any time. Right now, MacPorts can build all the Qt components we need for Myth on 10.7. It is NOT straightforward, however. (I won't bore you with tedious accounts of libc++ v. libstdc++.) It is likely, however, that a future update to Qt will be incompatible with 10.7. 10.7 is not an officially supported platform for Qt 5.

However, I don't see any compelling reasons to justify the extra work to try to support Myth 0.28 on 10.7 or 10.8. There are, I believe, only a small number of machines that will run 10.7 that will NOT run 10.9 Mavericks. For example, Mavericks will run on the early 2009 Mini. Someone might need to upgrade RAM in order to run a newer OS version acceptably but that doesn't cost much money and has other benefits. Particularly, security updates from Apple. (And Sierra is just around the corner.)

What say you? Am I missing any key factors that justify supporting older OS versions?

BTW, the above relates to the all-in-one installer. If someone really wants to try to run MythTV 0.28 on Lion or Mountain Lion, they can install XCode and use MacPorts to build their own. As of now, I believe it will work. Or just install an older version of MythTV.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
jtravers
Newcomer

Re: MacPorts and Myth 0.28

Post by jtravers »

All my macs and hackintoshes are running 10.9 or greater, so this wouldn't affect me. I'm fine with making the 0.28 all in one installer 10.9 and above only.
gsulshski
Junior
United States of America

Post by gsulshski »

All of my iMacs and mac minis are the latest level of OSX EL Capitan.

I think I rebuild via Macports and don't use the all-one-installer so maybe I am not a representative response.

I build Mtytv like this: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Building_My ... th_MacPort
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

gsulshski wrote:All of my iMacs and mac minis are the latest level of OSX EL Capitan.

I think I rebuild via Macports and don't use the all-one-installer so maybe I am not a representative response.

I build Mtytv like this: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Building_My ... th_MacPort
I really don't get any usage statistics but I believe most folks have used the all-in-one installer. It is perfectly fine to build yourself with XCode and MacPorts. If you want to use any of the thousands of other open source software packages provided through MacPorts, then it will be cleaner to install MythTV that way too.

Craig
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

Nothing older than 10.11.6 here
beaconclks
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by beaconclks »

IMHO, your reasoning makes sense. Since you're kind enough to offer the installer gratis, and there are other options available for older OS's, your idea seems the most efficient.
MoisiePants
Junior
Great Britain

Post by MoisiePants »

Hi Craig,

Thanks for creating the all-in-one installation - very much appreciated here.

I say this with no expectation, but I just wanted to add a data point: I'm currently running the Macports 0.27 build under Mac OS X 10.7.5. Ideally I'd like to run a newer OS - but I'm running it on a Mac Mini Early 2006 (originally running on a Core Duo, but upgraded to a Core 2 Duo). This machine shouldn't officially even run 10.7.5; running 10.8+ would require ripping the graphics drivers out of 10.7 and stuffing them in - and I'm not hopeful about the ability of this to run stably.

I'm considering getting a Pi (or similar) to run MythTV backend on; I use Kodi as a frontend, which I would continue to run on this Mac Mini.

Just thought you should know...

Thanks,

Pants.
grayman001
Junior
Australia

Post by grayman001 »

Latest version here. IMO you do a lot of work for the installer and help out a lot of people on here. You shouldn't be putting in any effort or worrying about legacy OS that people should have upgraded or purchased new hardware. Looking forward to the new release.
gsulshski
Junior
United States of America

Post by gsulshski »

Greetings,

I just got back from my summer vacations and I see that mythtv 0.28 ports have been installed. I have been building my own and have been using the following instructions to do the build.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Building_My ... h_MacPorts

Can someone update the instructions on this web page or just give me the updates to the build process? I appreciate any help !

for example, it was for 0.27.4

sudo port install mythtv-core.27
+mariadb+mariadb55+python27+perl5_16
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

I built mine with:

Code: Select all

sudo port install mythtv-core.28 +mariadb+mariadb55+python27+perl5_24
I was helping Craig with the testing but he's gone away for a bit, probably busy with summer stuff.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Hey, I'm here...but not at home.

That is the correct install command. Just realize that you are effectively joining the beta test team! Make sure you back up your system and maybe a separate database backup before upgrading.

Oh, mythtv-core.27 and .28 can't both be active at the same time. After your backups, use Myth_Stop_Start to shut down 0.27. Then deactivate the software with

sudo port deactivate mythtv-core.27
If you are running mythweb.27, you need to deactivate it, too.

Then do the install. Please let us know if you run into any snags.

Craig
shredder83
Newcomer
Canada

Post by shredder83 »

I too am trying to get Mythtv.028 built and having issues.

I ran this command:

And get this coming back:

--->  Computing dependencies for mythtv-core.28
--->  Fetching archive for mythtv-core.28
Error: org.macports.archivefetch for port mythtv-core.28 returned: p5.24-dbd-mysql must be installed with +mariadb and without +mariadb10_0+mariadb10_1+mysql4+mysql5+mysql51+mysql55+mysql56+mysql57+percona.
Please see the log file for port mythtv-core.28 for details:
    /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_multimedia_mythtv.28/mythtv-core.28/main.log
To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
    http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
Error: Processing of port mythtv-core.28 failed
I am really new to the macports idea, so not really sure how to troubleshoot.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,
Shredder83
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

shredder83 wrote:I too am trying to get Mythtv.028 built and having issues.

I ran this command:

p5.24-dbd-mysql must be installed with +mariadb and without +mariadb10_0+mariadb10_1+mysql4+mysql5+mysql51+mysql55+mysql56+mysql57+percona.
For background, a MacPorts port may have variants. In this case, p5.24-dbd-mysql has several variants that modify the installed software such that it connects with a particular database. The default variant is "+mysql56" for MySQL version 5.6. However, we're using MariaDB version 5.5 so we need to enable "+mariadb" variant.

I'm pretty sure that what happened is that you previously tried 'sudo port install mythtv.28' without specifying the necessary variants. MacPorts then installed all the dependencies with the default variants. If that is the case, then py27-mysql is going to give you the same problem as p5.24-dbd-mysql. The easiest solution should be to uninstall the ones we don't want and then try again. Uninstall with:

sudo port -f uninstall p5.24-dbd-mysql py27-mysql
The '-f' flag forces the uninstall even though other software depends on these ports.

Now try again:

Craig
shredder83
Newcomer
Canada

Post by shredder83 »

Sweet. That worked to get past that issue. Thanks for the quick response.

Now I'm getting this in the log:

:info:build Project ERROR: Xcode not set up properly. You may need to confirm the license agreement by running /usr/bin/xcodebuild.
:info:build make: *** [libs/Makefile] Error 3
I have accepted the license from XCode. I even accepted it again through the commandline, same issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Shredder83
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Are you following the instructions from:

https://guide.macports.org/#installing.xcode ?

Which version of MacOS and which version of XCode are you using?

Craig