Re: Trouble with MacPorts installation

Post by csgnyc »

These are the settings I already have. I'm on El Capitain
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Try entering the actual IP address of your machine. Looks like 192.168.1.5 from the mythtv-setup log.
General_host_600.png
General_host_600.png (195.45 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
Note that both the Master Backend and Local Backend IP addresses need to be entered.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
csgnyc
Junior
United States of America

Post by csgnyc »

So, eventually I got through this problem but then I had problem getting the machine to load the channels and program guide, so I decided to restart the whole process, getting rid of the mythtv installation and the mysql database. So, in following your steps, I'm seeing something (Looking back, I think this was a problem last time as well).

When it comes to loading the time zone tables I enter mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | mysql -u root -p mysql, I am given a warning, Warning: Unable to load '/usr/share/zoneinfo/+VERSION' as time zone. Skipping it which doesn't seem to be an issue, but then when I am asked for my password, I enter my computer password (I am the administrator of the computer) but I get the error message ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES). I also tried entering "mythtv" as the password and got the same error.

If it makes a difference, after I get this error, I can re-enter the mysql database and now I get the proper time zone result:

+----------------------------------------+
| CONVERT_TZ(NOW(), 'SYSTEM', 'Etc/UTC') |
| 2016-07-25 16:42:46 |
1 row in set (0.04 sec)

I think this is in error. Any thoughts?
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

The database manager has its own system of userids and passwords that is completely independent of the the Mac's operating system. The 'root' user of the database is used to create the mythconverg database, the user 'mythtv' (normally with password "mythtv") and to permit the mythtv user to access the mythconverg database. Some folks setting up Myth are already using a mysql database for other things...but the vast majority aren't. So, the vast majority don't really need to ensure the database is protected from unauthorized access and therefore leave the password blank for the root user.

Kind of like having a cash box that you don't bother to lock because...it's empty!

So I don't think database passwords are the problem.

Exactly what is happening now that is preventing you from running Myth?

Craig
csgnyc
Junior
United States of America

Post by csgnyc »

The error I was having last go around was caused, I believe, by my choosing "Scan for channels" as opposed to "Fetch Channels from Listing Source" in following the instructions on https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_Prime.

In starting from scratch today, I skipped past the password/root access error, and I have successfully populated the TV Listings so that I can see the listings in the Frontend. But, when I try to record a program off the listings I get an error "Single Record +0 Recorder Failed" and when I choose the "Watch TV" menu option from the home screen it seems to open and then quickly reverts to the home screen.

EDITED: Just stopped and started the backend. I seem to now be able to record, but still can't watch TV. Ultimately, if watching tv doesn't get fixed I don't care (I plan on using the backend with Kodi) but I raise it if it suggests other problems with my installation.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

csgnyc wrote:...EDITED: Just stopped and started the backend. I seem to now be able to record, but still can't watch TV. Ultimately, if watching tv doesn't get fixed I don't care (I plan on using the backend with Kodi) but I raise it if it suggests other problems with my installation.
I'm glad to hear that you've gotten this much working. Just a little fine-tuning to do.

Each Myth program (mythbackend, mythfrontend, mythcommflag, ...) creates a log file each time it runs. The logs are essential to troubleshooting any problems. You can locate the logs at '/opt/dvr/var/log/MythTV.27/'. Stop and then start the backend and then try Live TV again. If you experience the problem, create a new thread (because the focus of this thread is now solved) and attach the logs.

However, don't be afraid to use mythtv-setup to delete all tuners and set them up again. You could have some incorrectly defined tuners due to unsuccessful earlier attempts. Which could account for the Live TV failures.

You can see the list of defined tuners and some other information by pointing your browser at:

http://192.168.1.5:6544
[Fill in the ip address of your backend if that is not it.]

BTW, you did note that Max Recordings MUST be set to "1" for each of the tuners, right? It is not the default and some people skip right over that.

Also, are you aware that Myth--by design--tries to fill [almost] all available space with stuff you *might* want to watch. You really want to set up an external drive (or 2, or 10...) and dedicate it to Myth's use. Storing the recordings on your system drive is "A BAD IDEA".

Craig