United States of America

Time zone issue?[Solved]

Post by AZRichG »

Hello all-

I've made it to the time zone install directions on this page-
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MySQL_Time_Zone_Tables

The first response I'm getting is the 'NULL' one. So I tried the next command

mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | mysql -u root -p mysql

the response I am getting in terminal is a '->' prompt. I feel I'm supposed to enter something at this point :) if I type ';' I get this-

MariaDB [mythconverg]> mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | mysql -u root -p mysql
-> ;
ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | mysql -u root -p mysql' at line 1

I see there is a suggestion to use 'man sql' but I'm not sure what that means. Also, how would I restart MySQL once I get that sorted out.

Activity monitor shows both mysql and mysqld running. I'm using the MacPorts MythTV install package .27 on OS X.11.2

Thanks for any help,

Rich
Right now it seems this is what's starting my backend from running.
Last edited by AZRichG on Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: Time zone issue?

Post by pvr4me »

When your prompt says "MariaDB [mythconverg]> ", that means the mysql client program is running (and ready to accept typed sql commands). I think you missed the part of the instructions where is says to type "exit" and press return to get out of that program. That should give you back the standard Terminal prompt. On my machine, it looks like "CT-MBP11:~ craigtreleaven$". Obviously, yours will say your Mac name and userid.

From the standard Terminal prompt, try the time zone setup command again:

Code: Select all

mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | mysql -u root mysql
Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
AZRichG
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by AZRichG »

Thanks Craig-

Did that, got out just as you said. I totally missed the 'type exit' part... Sorry.

The terminal window says '-tcsh' again, this is what happened next-

[Richard-Gregorys-iMac:~] rich% mysql_tzinfo_to_sql /usr/share/zoneinfo | mysql -u root mysql
Warning: Unable to load '/usr/share/zoneinfo/+VERSION' as time zone. Skipping it.
[Richard-Gregorys-iMac:~] rich%

So I thought it didn't work, however when I got back to MariaDB and pasted the command to copy the timezone info this time the response was -

MariaDB [mythconverg]> SELECT CONVERT_TZ(NOW(), 'SYSTEM', 'Etc/UTC');
+----------------------------------------+
| CONVERT_TZ(NOW(), 'SYSTEM', 'Etc/UTC') |
| 2015-12-18 19:46:08 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Which looks like it worked! that's not the correct time for me, but I'm assuming that GMT.

I've moved on and entered my Schedules Direct info.

Currently doing a channel scan.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Looks like you've conquered the dreaded MythTV installation and configuration! Congrats!

Craig
AZRichG
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by AZRichG »

Yeah, it's in there. Now I just have to find my channels! I see via the SD page that they are QAM256 but I'm not really having any luck getting them to scan into MythTV. Still trying.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

AZRichG wrote:Yeah, it's in there. Now I just have to find my channels! I see via the SD page that they are QAM256 but I'm not really having any luck getting them to scan into MythTV. Still trying.
Are you using the HDHomerun Prime with cable card? If so, you don't scan, see:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust ... figuration

Craig
AZRichG
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by AZRichG »

Wellokaythen... THANK YOU for that link.

Yeah, I was scanning. So that helped, got all the program data. Running the fronted I see my shows in the guide!

Weird thing is- my tuners aren't working. In the tuner status it lists three tuners as having an error. Each is properly identified as HDHOMERUN: etc etc... I went through and deleted the and re-added them just in case I missed a step.

I'm a bit concerned that my paths for video et al aren't in the proper format. I set up a folder locally for them on my HD called 'Videos' but there's nothing in it. If I haven't put correct paths to that folder in the Set Up app would that cause what I'm seeing with the Tuners having errors?
AZRichG
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by AZRichG »

Hmmm, just un-installed EyeTV and restarted. Now the live TV seems to be working!

Maybe that was a co-incidence, maybe the restart is what was needed? Who cares... on to the next battle. I'll set up a recording and see how that goes.

Can I install the fronted on another computer on the network and have it connect to the backend? I have 3 macs on the network that I'd like to be able to watch TV on, in a window if possible.

Thank you again for the guidance!
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

If another program has the tuners open then MythTV can't use them.

Yes, you can have multiple front ends and they can all watch recordings.
For Live TV, you may need a tuner for each FE. Or, from one Live TV
session, press r to record and have the other boxes watch the recording
(e.g. if they're all watching the same channel.) I almost never use Live TV,
so YMMV.

Please consider appending [Solved] to the Subject: and opening other
posts for new issues. The forum is valuable to future users searching
for solutions, but won't find the additional issues here.
AZRichG
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Time zone issue?[Solved]

Post by AZRichG »

Thank you Bill, it's solved.

I guess for live TV I could simply use the HDHR View App too... keep it simple.

I also get your point on the resource.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

AZRichG wrote:...Can I install the fronted on another computer on the network and have it connect to the backend? I have 3 macs on the network that I'd like to be able to watch TV on, in a window if possible.
The default with mythfrontend is to display full screen. To change that, go to Setup>Appearance and enable "Use window border" (press spacebar to toggle on/off). You'll probably need to play around with the settings in Setup>Video>Playback (see page 10 of 10, especially) to get resizable video in a window. I can't remember how they all work together.

Craig
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

AZRichG wrote:...I'm a bit concerned that my paths for video et al aren't in the proper format. I set up a folder locally for them on my HD called 'Videos' but there's nothing in it. If I haven't put correct paths to that folder in the Set Up app would that cause what I'm seeing with the Tuners having errors?
NOTE, recording to your boot drive is NOT recommended. Somewhere in mythtv-setup, there is a setting that defines how much free space to keep. You need to change that to a sufficiently large amount for your system: 20 gigs, 50 or maybe more.

However, assuming your "Videos' folder is in the top level of your user's home, the path would be

Code: Select all

/Users/rich/Videos
It is far preferable to dedicate an external disk. (Or multiple drives.) Myth is designed to fill up the space you've give it with stuff you *might* want to watch. It will delete older stuff in order to make room for new recordings thus keeping the dedicated space full. (Just like Tivo, etc.)

Craig
AZRichG
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Time zone issue?[Solved]

Post by AZRichG »

Good point about the boot drive. I'll look for something more appropriate. I might replace the internal DVD drive with an SSD.

In the mean time I'll look for the setting in the set up app. Thank you for the tip!

Rich