Interest in Mythbackend Builds

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
mr_tea
Junior
United States of America

Interest in Mythbackend Builds

Post by mr_tea » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:37 am

I wanted to gauge if there is interest in MacOS builds of mythbackend and related programs. While I have the backend compiling based on the Ansible frontend script, before I take it to a completely working state, I'd like to know if others are interested in a standalone application or if there is interest at all. That will define how much effort I put into it (if there isn't interest, I'll just keep it simple and use the MacPorts install locations).

pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: Interest in Mythbackend Builds

Post by pvr4me » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:46 pm

Which version(s) are you targetting?

Craig
The MacPorts guy.

jhoyt
Senior
United States of America

Post by jhoyt » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:17 am

I think if it's a great idea if you've got the time to put in the effort. I've received multiple requests for mythbackend (v31 and master) off list. I hadn't gone down the path myself as bundling mysql/mariadb into an application looked like more trouble than I had time to support. I suspect bundling the mythtv-backend application should be pretty straightforward and very similar to what I needed to do to mythfrontend (...although you may need to bundle perl - definitely will need to bundle python).

I'd be very happy to walk you through what I learned about application bundling (and why I do things in build script, why the particular order) if it'd be helpful.

mr_tea
Junior
United States of America

Post by mr_tea » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:59 pm

I'm testing with 31 right now. I need to get the library copy and load lookups configured right, but I haven't taken the time as I was curious first if others would want to use this too before I picked a direction (if it is just for me, I'll probably hack it together).

My initial plan is to try to get it up as a bring-your-own MariaDB and web server (for mythweb) design so that I don't have to package those in as well. I think that will be considerably easier to get up and running initially from my perspective, but certainly more complicated for any user who doesn't know how to do it themselves. If we continue the package route, I'm interested in trying a single app package with everything you need, but only after the core server works.

Is there a preference towards trying to package the backend as an app, or would a backend only version in MacPorts be okay to go along with the packaged version of the frontend? Just curious what the preferences are. I think I'd prefer a MacPorts backend as it better matches the servers design, but I've been doing that for many years now, so it feels very natural to me.