Working 0.27 Windows Build

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on windows
Seven
Newcomer
Australia

Working 0.27 Windows Build

Post by Seven »

Has anyone have a working 0.27 Windows build?

0.26 worked brillantly howcome the regression in 0.27......

Cheers,

Anthony
skd5aner
United States of America

Re: Working 0.27 Windows Build

Post by skd5aner »

There was a lot of work done by some contributors to make 0.26 build and work fairly well (respectively) on windows. However, those same people didn't contribute as much during the 0.27 development cycle. With 1 minor exception, none of the current core devs have spent much time working on Windows support - and the vast majority of contributions have been from "outsiders" (so to speak).

That said, all of the devs have expressed a desire to have better Windows support, but either none of the current devs have the time, resources, or skillset to do so - but would welcome someone out there who does and support them in their endeavor!
dblain
Developer
United States of America

Post by dblain »

Just as a follow up, for version 0.28 (master), compiling on windows has been split into 2 different approaches. The original approach was using MinGW while the newer approach uses Microsoft Visual Studio.

Master currently compiles with visual studio 2010. There is also a BuildBot for windows/visual studio so problems (compile issues at least) can be found right away. If you're interested in this approach, there are wiki pages which describes how to setup the environment: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Wi ... ual_Studio

Although all core components compile clean, and I've been able to run mythfrontend against a Linux backend, I'm sure there are still some issues to resolve.

I spear headed the Visual Studio port so let me know if you have any questions.

David.

P.S.
Unfortunately the MinGW BuildBot is offline and I don't know the current state its build environment is in.
stuarta
Developer
Great Britain

Post by stuarta »

dblain wrote: Unfortunately the MinGW BuildBot is offline and I don't know the current state its build environment is in.
It's dead Jim, and I can't see a replacement on the horizon at the moment
Gary
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Gary »

If I understand correctly, the .26 version works better for Windows than the .27 version. So are you recommending using .26 for Windows as of this point or is there some other problem with .26 now? In addition, does the Visual Machine build process work for .26 version? Thanks for the clarification!
stuartm
Developer
Great Britain

Post by stuartm »

We don't support older releases, so 0.26 is unsupported and it doesn't build with Visual Studio. Only 0.28 does.
Gary
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Gary »

Thank you Stuartm!