Watching live tv breaks recorded list

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

_harveyb_
Newcomer
United States of America

Watching live tv breaks recorded list

Post by _harveyb_ »

If I watch live tv all entries in the "Watch Recordings" display go away. Bringing up Menu "Change Group Filters" shows group "All Programs" to have 170 entries, but no selection will show them. Setting group filter to "Default" and "Add this group to playlist" crashes frontend.
MythWeb displays all recorded programs properly, and they can be downloaded from a remote PC.
The remote frontend exhibits the same symptoms as the FE/BE combo.
Restoring the database will bring everything back, but watching live tv will immediately break it again.

Where do I start looking?
PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Re: Watching live tv breaks recorded list

Post by PhilB »

Very odd. A few questions which may trigger something.

A new setup, or a mature sytem which has just started playing up?
What hardware? It's not an underconfigured system?
What version of Mythtv? flavour of operating system?
Are you using user jobs? System events?
That live TV has satisfactory picture/sound?
What source of signal?
Anything in the backend log? The frontend log at the time of failure?

Phil
_harveyb_
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by _harveyb_ »

Phil, I have to apologize. I got frustrated with the whole thing and started a reinstall.
To answer your questions though, in case some other poor fellow gets into the same bind: Mature system, working well for a couple of months after an upgrade. What broke it (I think) was that I added a remote front end. While testing the new front end I was interrupted and left live tv going for a couple of days. Latest version of mythbuntu, totally vanilla with nothing whatever added. Original HDHomeRun, pulling ATSC over the air signals. PC running on an older Dell Pentium M system. Live TV was good, problems with signal quality on the RF side but otherwise just fine. Because of the bad signal quality the logs were a disaster and I never really analyzed them properly. Several times I restored the database from backup and got everything back, but watching live tv (on either the primary or secondary frontend) immediately wiped out the display.
PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Post by PhilB »

No apology necessary! thanks for the update.
So your live tv frontend running for a couple of days will have generate a HUGE recording file. Say 4GB/hr for 48 hours. A bit stressful on any system (and the owner!). Was it a space issue which blew up your system I wonder, or some limitation in the database? Might an appropriate file delete and a database optimise have fixed it? We may never know.
Regards
Phil