How to delete channels

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BillK
Senior
United States of America

How to delete channels

Post by BillK »

I record from Optimum cable and the channel scan give a huge list of "channels," most of which aren't channels at all. I'd like to delete them from the list so I don't have to scroll through them to record or watch TV. When I go to the channel editor, highlight a channel and click "Delete," I'm asked if I want to delete "ALL" channels. I certainly don't want to do that. How can I delete just one channel at a time?
Last edited by Steve Goodey on Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correct Topic title.
mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Re: Hot to delete channels

Post by mythbuntubox »

The easiest would probably be to set each of the channels you don't want to see in the listings at all not to be visible in the Channel Editor of the Backend setup.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

Highlight the channel and then hit the 'D' key on keyboard, Not the "Delete" button on screen.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
BillK
Senior
United States of America

Post by BillK »

mythbuntubox wrote:The easiest would probably be to set each of the channels you don't want to see in the listings at all not to be visible in the Channel Editor of the Backend setup.
I tried that and afterwards, the channels available to "Watch TV" became completely screwed up. I went back and made them visible and that problem went away.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

wesnewell wrote:Highlight the channel and then hit the 'D' key on keyboard, Not the "Delete" button on screen.
I thought it was obvious that I meant from the mythbackend-setup channel editor, but maybe not.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
diyhouse
Senior
Great Britain

Post by diyhouse »

if you are running "mythweb",.. you can set a channel to be visible/invisible via the:-

Setting menu > TV > Channel Info

Then use the middle ( of the three toggles ) option toggle to set visible / invisible,.. then click save at the bottom of the screen.

You do not have to stop the backend to carry out this change,.. Once you have saved the new visible/invisible setting you can then immediately view the change in the frontend ( or mythWeb Listings ) guide display.

....As far as I know you CANNOT delete channels via the MythWeb interface
BillK
Senior
United States of America

Post by BillK »

wesnewell wrote:Highlight the channel and then hit the 'D' key on keyboard, Not the "Delete" button on screen.
That worked, but I got the same problem with Live TV that I had when I made them invisible. When I scroll through the channels, it cycles through only a handful of the channels. And strangely, I couldn't tune to the 13_? (PBS) channels on Live TV or scheduled recordings. It would just sit there waiting for a lock.

Fortunately, I set up a wrapper script that dumps the database before starting mythtv-setup, so I restored everything back to before I deleted the channels and everything worked again. Very strange!
mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Post by mythbuntubox »

BillK wrote:
mythbuntubox wrote:The easiest would probably be to set each of the channels you don't want to see in the listings at all not to be visible in the Channel Editor of the Backend setup.
I tried that and afterwards, the channels available to "Watch TV" became completely screwed up. I went back and made them visible and that problem went away.
That's really weird, because this is how I get rid of channels I don't want displayed in the Programme Guide and have never had a problem. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that you are hiding cable channels, whereas I am not. Not sure. Maybe run the Optimize Database (optimize_mythdb.pl) function against your database to detect any problems with it.
BillK
Senior
United States of America

Post by BillK »

My cable provider (Cablevision) has a LOT of channels that scan picks up, but most of them are empty. Some of them would lock up Mythtv when I tried to tune to them to see if there was anything there. After much work, I got rid of them and now it seems to work OK. I think they may have been causing the problem.
gregb49
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by gregb49 »

wesnewell wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:11 pm
Highlight the channel and then hit the 'D' key on keyboard, Not the "Delete" button on screen.
Thanks. I know this is an old post, but that was a very useful bit of information that was not obvious when in the Channel Editor.
vanzandtj
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by vanzandtj »

It's an old thread, but the UI is no clearer in 2020. When you click on the "delete" button, you get a warning. That warning should also tell you how to delete just this channel.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

Yes, the GUI is not really intuitive. However, when are going to delete a channel you get a popup window that asks "Delete Channel <channel name>" with choices Cancel and OK. Cancel is there in case you changed your mind or made a typing mistake. Select OK to confirm your choice and then the channel is deleted. See the attached screenshot. It is not 2020 but it cannot get much clearer than this. Although opinions may differ....
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-11-18 22-43-11_lores.png
Screenshot from 2020-11-18 22-43-11_lores.png (136.66 KiB) Viewed 2221 times