New Upnp Channel Changing Script

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jheizer
Newcomer
United States of America

New Upnp Channel Changing Script

Post by jheizer »

I'd like to present a new channel changer script. If you are a Dish VIP 211 users this will definitely work and it is AMAZING. It uses ethernet to change the channels. NO MORE IR BLASTERS!! Can you tell I'm excited? :)

Basically a few weeks ago I randomly plugged my STB into the network for the first time in years. Being the curious type I did port scans and such. There was now a Upnp port open with control abilities.

Benefits over lirc scripts:
- No LIRC
- Super fast. Live tv is ~ 5 seconds to change now. Even faster on first start up.
- No more idling out to the screen saver after 4 hours. I disable it.
- No LIRC

The one Negative: our VIP 211 receivers are smart enough to use the same guide number for both HD when available and SD when not. Sadly, the upnp interface is not and it displays the SD feed. You must update your channel data to use the super high number channels. A bit of a pain I'll admit, but I can't imagine going back now.

I've been using this on my production system for about 3 weeks now on 2 receivers and have not had a single issue.

You can find the script at https://github.com/jheizer/UPnPChannelChanger and I'll be updating that page this evening with instructions for people using a different STB with steps to detect Upnp and instructions to modify the script.

Enjoy,

Jon
jheizer
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: New Upnp Channel Changing Script

Post by jheizer »

Minor update but this now supports:
  • VIP 211
  • VIP 211k
  • VIP 222k
PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Post by PhilB »

This looks very interesting and a powerful technique but would you forgive my ignorance and put it in perspective for those outside US and non Dish VIP users please?
Dish VIP is a satellite receiver with its own remote? How do you get the video from it into Mythtv?
Your code allows you to press a button on your Mythtv remote and for Myth to pass key presses to your VIP via ether?

I wonder if a similar technique would allow Mythtv volume to be passed to my TV?
Thanks
Phil
Gribnif
Junior
United States of America

Post by Gribnif »

Video must be captured using a device like HD-PVR. There is no provision in the Dish hardware for it to be transmitted over the Ethernet cable used by uPnP. This program is just for telling the box what channel to tune to without having to use an IR blaster.

You can't really do a direct "press any key on the remote and send it to the Dish receiver" approach. The receiver has a limited set of things it can be told to do via uPnP. The most useful of these is tuning to a particular channel. Volume control isn't even part of the specification, IIRC.

This approach is very specific to the Dish receivers, and would be unlikely to work with other hardware.
ibedonc
Junior
United States of America

Post by ibedonc »

Thank You !!!!! and I so tired of the hd-pvr blaster it is so slow and problems at times
I 3 boxes working

I see you can wake a box , but can you put one in standby like when you send power with the remote , I have always put unused recv'ers in standby when not in use , I do that with a script , if you can then I can totally get rid of lirc

thanks
hedgehog52
Junior
United States of America

Post by hedgehog52 »

This is exciting! When I had DirecTV a few years ago, I could send channel change commands to the USB port. In fact, I need to find that old script to see if it works for the Spectrum Cable STB.

How did you go about doing the scans for upnp? You've motivated me to spend some time with the Spectrum STB to see if either the USB changer I have will work, or if a script like yours will work.

Bob