Report Forum Bugs or Errors Here

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

stuartm
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Report Forum Bugs or Errors Here

Post by stuartm »

I think I've finally fixed the changing of usernames. Although I'd granted permissions to change your username, apparently you also need to enable it as a board-wide feature.
scharnke
Newcomer
Australia

Post by scharnke »

stuartm wrote:
scharnke wrote:This "user control panel" link no longer appears ... I was able to set up mine on the weekend, but can't access it anymore :cry:
I can see it when I log in with the same permissions as you.
Indeed it is there - now. Had I been able to attach a screenshot from my android tablet I could prove to you that it wasn't just my imagination. :D
The layering or rendering order of page elements in certain browsers on certain platforms may be the reason for the erratic behaviour. First screen load a short while ago the breadcrumbs and link were there, then they were gone next screen. Page refresh seems to fix things - now - but it didn't yesterday.
I'm running Firefox on Android 4.1x
Martin Scharnke
Brisbane, Australia
HDHomerun, Mythbuntu, myth 0.27
jyavenard
Developer
Australia

Post by jyavenard »

Test tapatalk.
the_noname
Newcomer
Germany

Post by the_noname »

A few things i noticed:

- The signatur size is only 125 characters. A few more would be blessing.
- BBCode doesn't work (at least not in the post preview mode)
- The avatar size is limited to 24k and 90x90 pxl. (greetings from the 90's)

I have an additional question:
The design of the MythTV website and forum is not the most modern. I think i could help redesigning both the website and the forum. I just want to know if the MythTV developer are interested in a new design.

Cheers
stuartm
Developer
Great Britain

Post by stuartm »

We've deliberately restricted the signature size and avatar size as a lot of people find excessive signatures and graphics to be irritating. For that same reason images in signatures and animated gifs are not allowed.

BBCode should be working?
the_noname
Newcomer
Germany

Post by the_noname »

I just tested the BBCode again and now it works.

I understand that you restrict those settings (especially gif based avatar). But i don't think a 300 character signature would hurt anyone. And i could insert my standard-signature-quote :D
rwagner
Developer
United States of America

Post by rwagner »

the_noname wrote:And i could insert my standard-signature-quote :D
We came here to read your post, not your signature. If 125 characters is insufficient for anything you "need" to put there, put it in your profile.
the_noname
Newcomer
Germany

Post by the_noname »

rwagner wrote:If 125 characters is insufficient for anything you "need" to put there, put it in your profile.
That's what i'm going to do. And there is definitely no "need". I just told you my two cents since you asked for user feedback.

And in my opinion it's the right step to build a official forum. Great work!
skd5aner
United States of America

Post by skd5aner »

the_noname wrote: I have an additional question:
The design of the MythTV website and forum is not the most modern. I think i could help redesigning both the website and the forum. I just want to know if the MythTV developer are interested in a new design.

Cheers
I by no means can speak for the developers of mythtv, but you could always put together a mock-up and post a few images of what a redesign might look like. If it looks good, perhaps they'll consider your web design contributions. That said, as "simple" as the current design may look, it's not example simple... a lot of time and effort went in to it, so please keep that in mind as well :)
wren337
Newcomer
United States of America

SEO problem

Post by wren337 »

When searching for "mythtv forum" this forum is not in the top 4 pages of google results. In fact the top result is a dead forum at mythtvtalk. Is there a bad robots.txt here, or do you need to update your sitemap?
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

In the (Search) New Posts page, would it be possible to add a Mark Forums Read button, like on the Board Index page?

With forums like this, my workflow is to go to the New Posts page and scan for stuff of interest. I'll open each such thread in a new tab, read them and close the tab. When I get back to the New Posts page, it is handy to be able to mark everything read. Not a big deal to return to the Board Index but it saves a click and the response on this board isn't exactly blindingly fast! ;)

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
Gribnif
Junior
United States of America

Post by Gribnif »

I second the desire for Mark Forums Read on the View New Posts page. More importantly for me, I'd like to see it on the View Unread Posts page.
stuartm
Developer
Great Britain

Post by stuartm »

We will see what can be done :)
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

Just tried to move a topic and got this error

Code: Select all

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1 [1064]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
The topic was moved OK AFAICT
martinjt
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by martinjt »

Not sure if it's intentional or now, but forum doesn't appear to be indexed by Google. Don't know why, but it's not coming up in any of my searches, thought you might want to know.