Newbie simple install walkthrough

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

headrc
Newcomer
United States of America

Newbie simple install walkthrough

Post by headrc »

Hi …I am a newbie here. I want to set up a spare Macbook Pro as a streaming video DVR which I can use in place of Tivo and I can use to get rid of cable/satellite TV. It seems that MythTv will do this. I have downloaded what I think is a compilation version for Mac OSX. I have installed it and started to set it up. But all I keep getting is the setup screen. I have searched this forum and some others and looked at some Youtube videos and have looked at the walkthrough on Wikipedia. I am not a software coder so a lot of the instructions I find go beyond my current knowledge. I would like to avoid having to become well versed in that part of the computer world right now. Is there anyplace I can get a simple newbie instruction on how to set MythTV up? Of course I am looking for a simple click and install situation, but I am able to go a little deeper than that. But the confusion is really coming in with setting up a database and other things MythTv seems to be requiring.

And just to clarify, the source for all video presently will be over the Internet. I believe that is MythTv is all about but correct me if I am wrong. The short story is I want to record everything I am going to watch in advance because I am in a rural area and my DSL tends to be slow to watch video in real time.

Thanks in advance.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Re: Newbie simple install walkthrough

Post by wesnewell »

I've been using myth since 2005 recording ota broadcast. I don't even know if it will automatically record from the net at all. But if you place videos in the videos dir, you can scan it and play them fine. Set your browser to download to the video dir and start downloading or move them there after downloading. I don't do macs at all. Might have better luck in the OSX forum here.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
headrc
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by headrc »

Ok thanks …I will try that.
Plerp
Junior
Australia

Post by Plerp »

I use MythTV or specifically 'MythVideo' (which used to be a plugin and is now integrated into the main program) to manage my own video collection. I don't have a tuner any more to record TV, though maybe I'll give that try again in the future.

Anyway, if you were planning to download video from a source such as archive.org and then have the complete video on your computer you can set up Myth to act as a library/player for the videos.

If you are looking for something like netflix then I don't think myth will help since it is a streaming service and while Myth might integrate some sort of browser based support (I only speculate here) I suspect that's all it would be at the moment. Instead I'd google netflix on dialup and see if there were better solutions.

Anyway maybe you've looked into this and decided MythTV is indeed what you want.

On ubuntu, installing mythtv is as simple as doing a one click install from the repositories... and then configuring the back-end. And then you should have basic functionality when you run the front-end. Maybe you're stuck at configuring the backend?

I'm not sure what the Mac setup is like. Give some more specific details on what has happened and maybe someone can help.
(I assume you've looked at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Mac_OS_X)
dekarl
Developer
Germany

Post by dekarl »

headrc wrote:And just to clarify, the source for all video presently will be over the Internet. I believe that is MythTv is all about but correct me if I am wrong. The short story is I want to record everything I am going to watch in advance because I am in a rural area and my DSL tends to be slow to watch video in real time.
This use case is out of scope for MythTV.
We support recording everything you may want to watch from iptv. But the recording over iptv will always be in real time, just as it is for cable/sat/ota.