HDHR / Schedules Direct Lineup changes after Comcast changed a bunch of channels around

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jdrescher
Newcomer
United States of America

HDHR / Schedules Direct Lineup changes after Comcast changed a bunch of channels around

Post by jdrescher »

I am using Schedules Direct with a HDHRPrime/ cable card device and I tried to update my channels using

Code: Select all

mythfilldatabase --only-update-channels
and

mythfilldatabase --do-channel-updates
But I see the channels were not updated in mythweb.

The problem is I am recording some the wrong shows because the channels don't match. I am not sure what the easiest way to fix this as I have a lot of channels:

2023-03-31 19:42:01.719954 I  Updating source #4 (HDHR_CC) with grabber tv_grab_zz_sdjson
2023-03-31 19:42:01.720570 I  Found 812 channels for source 4 which use grabber
LinuxGeek28
Junior
United States of America

Re: HDHR / Schedules Direct Lineup changes after Comcast changed a bunch of channels around

Post by LinuxGeek28 »

I am not an expert but I have been running the same DB for a decade. Someone else may have a better plan....
When I had to change TV providers I needed a completely different channel lineup. The easiest solution turned out to be: Delete ALL the channels (done in setup) and add a new channel lineup and connect it to the capture cards.
This is NOT the quickest solution (especially if you fill channels from SD), but it is the EASIEST solution.
Once you have the corrected lineup, you can use Mythweb to hide/show the channels you want. Your history/recordings will not be impacted. Make sure to allow a couple hours to complete the task and good luck.
Maybe the best is to take a DB backup before you start, that way you can always roll back. If you are running Linux with snapshots, take a snapshot.

Do others know a better way?
white_haired_uncle
Senior
United States of America

Re: HDHR / Schedules Direct Lineup changes after Comcast changed a bunch of channels around

Post by white_haired_uncle »

LinuxGeek28 wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:05 pm
Once you have the corrected lineup, you can use Mythweb to hide/show the channels you want.
It's never been clear to me whether it is better to hide the channels in myth, or SD. I kind of like SD, as it is a lot faster to do. But I'm probably missing something.

For those unaware, in the SD interface you can see all your channels at once, click to hide/show, and even shift-click (or something) to toggle a contiguous range.

It would be nice if there was a way to hide channels (perhaps instead of deleting them), such that when you have a recording that was made on a channel that no longer exists, the playback GUI would show the original channel info (name at least) instead of something like #10340. Nice, but I've never cared enough to try to figure that out.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Post by kmdewaal »

It would be nice if there was a way to hide channels (perhaps instead of deleting them), such that when you have a recording that was made on a channel that no longer exists, the playback GUI would show the original channel info (name at least) instead of something like #10340. Nice, but I've never cared enough to try to figure that out.
Your wishes have been fulfilled. MythTV does do just that already for quite some time. A channel is only really deleted if there are no recordings left that have been recorded from that channel.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

white_haired_uncle wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:47 pm
It's never been clear to me whether it is better to hide the channels in myth, or SD. I kind of like SD, as it is a lot faster to do. But I'm probably missing something.

For those unaware, in the SD interface you can see all your channels at once, click to hide/show, and even shift-click (or something) to toggle a contiguous range.
The old SD grabber did use the channels you selected on the SD website but with the switch to the XMLTV grabber that uses the JSON interface that ability was lost. To be clear it was SD's decision to remove that not MythTV's or XMLTV's.

So now you either have to use the XMLTV grabber's manage interface to edit the channels in a lineup (that can speeds up the grabber a little since it only has to grab data for the channels you want) or simply make them invisible in MythTV either should work.
jdrescher
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by jdrescher »

The old SD grabber did use the channels you selected on the SD website but with the switch to the XMLTV grabber that uses the JSON interface that ability was lost.
Agreed. That was very convenient and easy to manage solution when it worked. I am using the JSON service which as you said does not have this.
gnurocks
Junior
United States of America

Post by gnurocks »

I agree that perhaps the best option for the OP is to delete all things and start anew. However, you may have to manually delete all channels in mythweb too (unless others have found another way).

Over the past few months while testing my new XMLTV setup (I’ve had to start over numerous times) when deleting all tuner cards, sources, and channels via mythbackend, the original channels always end up remaining in mythweb.

So, I had to manually delete the channels in the mythweb interface, but I found a way to mass-select all of the checkboxes by doing the following:

ENSURE MYTHWEB ALLOWS CHANNEL DATA CHANGES

sudo nano /etc/php/8.1/apache2/php.ini
Find and change the following line to max_input_vars = 100000

OR

sudo nano /etc/apache2/sites-available/mythweb.conf
Add: php_value max_input_vars 100000

RESTART APACHE

sudo service apache2 restart
MASS-SELECT ALL CHECKBOXES

In the mythweb interface (settings -> tv -> channel info) I couldn’t find a “select all” option for channel deletion. So, I selected all checkboxes on the page by using Firefox’s Developer Console. Process outlined here: https://ma.ttias.be/selecting-all-check ... -console/

Once all checkboxes are selected, at the bottom of the page, select “Save”. All channels should disappear. Now, carry on with your new mythtv-setup.
jdrescher
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by jdrescher »

Someone over the schedules direct forum helped me figure out that my lineup that I have used for years changed to a different one from my zipcode for Comcast.
gnurocks
Junior
United States of America

Post by gnurocks »

jdrescher wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:20 pm
Someone over the schedules direct forum helped me figure out that my lineup that I have used for years changed to a different one from my zipcode for Comcast.
Great news. By the way, my SD channel list also has 800+ channels overall but I only record 230. What I learned is, that if you edit your JSON channel selections (0s & 1s) before you run mythfilldatabase for the first time, it cuts the download time from 2+ hours to just 50 minutes. Plus mythweb's channel list will automatically show the 230 channel list as well (in my case). If not, mythweb will display all 800 channels, regardless of what you delete in mythbackend.
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey »

gnurocks wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:23 pm
I agree that perhaps the best option for the OP is to delete all things and start anew. However, you may have to manually delete all channels in mythweb too (unless others have found another way).

Over the past few months while testing my new XMLTV setup (I’ve had to start over numerous times) when deleting all tuner cards, sources, and channels via mythbackend, the original channels always end up remaining in mythweb.

So, I had to manually delete the channels in the mythweb interface, but I found a way to mass-select all of the checkboxes by doing the following:

ENSURE MYTHWEB ALLOWS CHANNEL DATA CHANGES

sudo nano /etc/php/8.1/apache2/php.ini
Find and change the following line to max_input_vars = 100000

You maybe interested in reading this post also. viewtopic.php?t=3788

Steve
Don't forget the Wiki.
jdrescher
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by jdrescher »

I think I fixed the MythWeb problem with this sql I typed in MySQL Workbench:

UPDATE mythconverg.channel
SET visible= 0
where sourceid < 5;