Using ratings: G PG-13 R etc

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Plerp
Junior
Australia

Using ratings: G PG-13 R etc

Post by Plerp »

I live in North America and would like to use the rating system for the movies I have in MythVideo. The metadata for the movies is downloading from themoviedb.org using the built in scripts but it isn't pulling the ratings information -- even if it is present.

In the end, I'd like to be able to filter the movie list to display movies or a particular rating or group of ratings (e.g., show G and PG-13 but not R, NC-17).

Has anyone else made this work? Or have ideas about how to go about it?
Plerp
Junior
Australia

Re: Using ratings: G PG-13 R etc

Post by Plerp »

New information:
If I type 'i' > 'video info' > view details then it _does_ show the movie rating in most cases. I wasn't seeing it in the database itself (as I looked in the wrong place ... it's in the videometadata table under 'rating').

The question still remains though ... can you filter the videos somehow with this info? Can it be used to display a subset of movies?
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

If your goal is only filtering, then Menu-Filter Display doesn't have the
ability to filter on rating (user rating yes.)

Never made it work (or used it.) But, on pages 3 & 4 of Video Settings,
there's Aggressive Parental Control and Enable automatic Parental
Level from rating. This is with the Steppes theme and v0.28-pre.
Plerp
Junior
Australia

Post by Plerp »

I had hoped that maybe the menu configuration was theme based and that someone had implemented a theme that did in fact make use of filtering on this field. Perhaps I should ask over in theme development (or elsewhere in the dev forums) if it's not already been done.
skd5aner
United States of America

Post by skd5aner »

I actually would like to see better utilization of MPAA ratings and replace the current "parental level" feature. I know this varies per country, but TMDB carries this data per release country, and you could always default to whatever is there, or have a conversion chart between the G, PG, PG-13, R, and NC-17 ratings used in the US to whatever equivalent ratings are for a locale. It looks like this Rating is already pulled from the metadata source and stored in the DB.

This is something that I never really cared about until I had kids, and it would be VERY nice to use these ratings for parental lockout, etc. I also don't like how the ratings shown currently are "Parental Level #" - MythTV should really leverage existing rating systems that everyone is familiar with instead of running with its own standard that no one understands (ex. which is worse, parental level 1 or 4?).

Definitely need to implement settings better if possible to support this. I know a lot of the devs have had kids over the last several years or so, so I can hope that one of them might also see the need for some love in this area :)
Plerp
Junior
Australia

Post by Plerp »

I can certainly agree about the utility of having a way to filter video collections for kids (and even provide a lockout for some titles).

Pressing 'f' in mythVideo to pull the 'filter' menu provides some utility but I've always found it lacking. At first I thought updating it do allow ranges of values might work. Or perhaps text based regular expressions for some fields rather than the 'dropdown' style selection inputs.
And the ability to configure the menu so that it only displays the options you want to show -- once you have a hundred movies in your collection then going through the list of actors starting at 'A' is completely useless if they happen to be at 'W' ... I would leave that one out of my menu along with several others.

Alternatively, some sort of 'report writer' might be of use that could then be saved to run a preferred report ... e.g., a report that selected videos for kids. In essence a SQL command but perhaps without requiring complete database knowledge. That might be a bit ambitious.

Anyway, I guess there are different ways to go about making the changes. Well, we'll see... thanks for the encouraging word about the coming of the children
glenstewart
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by glenstewart »

I've been looking at the same issue, as I'm getting ready to build a MythTV, having come from Tivo and ReplayTV, where parental playback controls related to ratings were strong features, especially on the Tivo. I used a perl script (using WWW:Mechanize) and TivoWebPlus that filtered the scheduled recordings made by a generic "record all Movies" Wishlist, and (hopefully before they record) deleted movies that exceeded certain ratings and excluded certain Genres. It sounds like TVWish does some of this for MythTV on the what-comes-in side of things.

My MythTV will never make it out of the Man-Cave into the Family room without ratings restrictions on playback, so I'll be looking for some kind of solution too. I'd hate to have to write a (renaming) interface to feed Plex with all the MythTV recordings, but Plex does now have account-based controls based on rating, for Plex Pass or Lifetime buyers.
glenstewart
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by glenstewart »

When contacted, the author of TVWish said "If the rating is in the database, it would not be hard to allow you to filter on it."
Plerp
Junior
Australia

Post by Plerp »

In my situation (mythVideo) I made use of the otherwise unused 'category' field (in my database).
Then I ran a SQL update to set the category to 1 (my kid safe category) where the rating was G, PG or PG-13.
Next, I set the filter ('f' in mythVido) to category 1 and chose 'save' so that it defaults to this list of kid safe movies on load.

It's not a lock-out but it at least lets my kids browse the movies that they are likely to want to watch without having to filter through the ones that would terrify them (Hunger Games yes, Aliens no).

I used a SQL editor called emma from the repository. It did the trick nicely. Though, of course, this hack assumes a bit of familiarity with this type of thing.