Considering upgrading from 28 and I've been managing HDHomerun Prime as a set of IPTV tuners -- any gotchas?

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fred_myth
Newcomer
United States of America

Considering upgrading from 28 and I've been managing HDHomerun Prime as a set of IPTV tuners -- any gotchas?

Post by fred_myth »

I did this as the last upgrade I did years ago changed/broke how the Prime Cablecard tuners were recognized and I realized it was so much easier (for me) to sidestep the inner-workings of the HDHR lib couplings and also managing channel map updates with frequency/serviceid (Even if tools existed to do this) and instead just set and forget static channum mappings and let the HDHR care about the low level mappings. To do this I created an IPTV tuner per Prime tuner and then just configured each channel in iptv_channel to point to the IPTV endpoint on the HDHR (known via the /lineup.html page). This has worked near flawlessly for years only ever having to manage when either I want to add a new channel or the very rare case of one going off-air/changing ownership (even all the cable channel map re-organizations can be ignored as those are just channum>1000 aliases). I haven't encountered any issues that would dissuade me from this practice (and the only feature i lost was same-frequency-different-serviceid overlap handoff and that was so rare a benefit) so would prefer to continue doing this.

So, has anyone else done this and found continued success in later versions or know that this will break (and can't be fixed in the DB)? Thx

P.S. If anyone thinks this is a novel+valid approach that is worth sharing beyond this question (and not confusing the already complucated existing HDHR lib approach (tho I see questions about getting that to work appear common in the forum)) I am not opposed to contributing a guide/scripts to simplify this process.