Separate always-on WebFrontend

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TMonster
Junior
Great Britain

Separate always-on WebFrontend

Post by TMonster »

Just looking for some advice on enhancing my system setup...

I have a "PC" based combined FE/BE which works fine, but when it's powered off, we can't access the WebFrontend to add additional recording schedules when out & about / at friends / etc...

So, I thought about adding a simple (RaspberryPI?) backend just to run WebFrontend 24/7.

Thinking further, this would mean that the database would need to be on the RasPi too (rather than the PC), making the RasPi the master BE - or do something crazy with database replication :shock:

Any advice?
Am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks
wmorrison
Senior
United States of America

Re: Separate always-on WebFrontend

Post by wmorrison »

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

Typically my system draws ~75W when I'm not using it. That's 1.8kw per day or about 25 cents. $7.50 per month. Not worth the worry to me considering cycling the system on and off daily would result in more frequent system failures which would far exceed the cost of monthly electricity. Just my 2 cents.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
TMonster
Junior
Great Britain

Post by TMonster »

Thanks for the insights...

I use WoL for a temporary FE running on a laptop that I mess around with - which works great at home, but I found it is a complete pain to setup for external access (ie via Internet) and needs "something else" to make it work... plus... I'd need to wait >1 second for Myth to boot up and be accessible... that's more than the WAF time limit ;) - but thanks for the suggestion. Maybe that'll do as a temporary solution...

I've not seen any reliability figures for a good few years that shows the thermal stress of powering a system up/down is more expensive than leaving an appliance on ;) but yes, that's possibly the simplest solution and might be the best idea when I eventually (years away...) split this into separate BE (in a cupboard) and small VESA mounted FE on the back of the TV

I guess I'm probably trying to make this more complicated than I need to, but the engineering challenge makes me feel there's another approach to this ...

Thanks guys
jksj
Senior
Great Britain

Post by jksj »

Go eco ... A Raspberry Pi 4B makes a great backend - at negligible power consumption.
Cannot recommend the Pi as a front end use your current PC or a Fire tv 4k.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

:idea: You can set up the Pi as the master BE with the database and MythWeb , you will have to add at least one tuner to it but that can be one you don't use like a fake external tuner or IPTV tuner. Use your existing BE as a slave BE. You can set up the master to wake any slaves when needed to record stuff. Make sure you turn off the setting to stream everything from the master BE otherwise you will likely swamp the poor Pi :roll:

Not something I've done myself and not a very well tested set up but in theory it should all work 8-)