Building v.26

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kmpatel
Junior
United States of America

Building v.26

Post by kmpatel »

Anyone know where I can find direction for building v.26? I need compile and runtime dependencies. The current wiki on building from source (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source) goes back to v.27.

I'm thinking about going back to v.26. I've being enjoying mythtv since v.15 (thanks Jarod Wilson and mythtv developers). But with each upgrade after v.26, things have gone downhill for me. More complicated UI, unreliable commercial detect, more disk space, more slower (v31 backend takes 30+ sec to shutdown! :x)...all without any apparent(?) improvement to viewing experience.
Last edited by Steve Goodey on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: Building v.26

Post by kmdewaal »

I would just do the "./configure" and whatever dependencies are missing is usually mentioned then. You then have to figure out the name of the package that supplies the missing dependency for your distribution but there is usually some logic there. A good starting point are the dependencies for higher MythTV versions, the differences will not be that great.
A large part of the development effort is to keep MythTV up-to-date with the packages it depends on, so it is unlikely that MythTV 26 can be compiled on the latest Ubuntu or Fedora.
I suggest to install a Linux distribution from the same year as MythTV 26. I think that was 2013.
Please share your experiences here on the forum. Was the grass really greener in 2013?
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

might ry this. Not sure what version came with 16.04, but it's an older one.
https://archiveos.org/mythbuntu/
Last edited by Steve Goodey on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Subject typo.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

v31 backend takes 30+ sec to shutdown!
The backend can shutdown much faster from the outside if you don't mind doing a little manual systemd work. From Stephen W on the mailing list Aug 2 2020:
My fix is to tell systemd to use a small script to shut down mythbackend. It sends two kill -15 signals one second apart. You can install it from my web server:

sudo su
cd /usr/local/bin
wget http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/mythbackendstop.sh
chown root:root mythbackendstop.sh
chmod u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx mythbackendstop.sh
exit

Then in a systemd override file you add this line in the [service] section:

ExecStop=/usr/local/bin/mythbackendstop.sh

It is also a good idea to put these two lines in the [service] section as well, as a backup in case mythbackend is locked up and really needs a kill -9:

SendSIGKILL=yes
TimeoutStopSec=10

That will cause systemd to do a kill -9 after 10 seconds if mythbackend still does not shut down.
Ted | My blog
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

Here's mythbuntu 14.04. Not sure what version it came with either, but earlier than 16.04.
https://linux.softpedia.com/get/Linux-D ... 3409.shtml
Last edited by Steve Goodey on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Subject typo.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

0.26? That was the version with the short-lived mythlogserver as a standalone app. Personally, I got a lot of mileage out of 0.25.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.26

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
kmpatel
Junior
United States of America

Post by kmpatel »

kmdewaal wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:36 pm
A large part of the development effort is to keep MythTV up-to-date with the packages it depends on, so it is unlikely that MythTV 26 can be compiled on the latest Ubuntu or Fedora.
I suggest to install a Linux distribution from the same year as MythTV 26. I think that was 2013.
Please share your experiences here on the forum. Was the grass really greener in 2013?
I'll try to remember to post my experience.

It seems the consensus is that I will likely have to downgrade the OS. I don't have much experience building from source code, so I didn't occur to me that building v0.26 would be completely unfeasible with latest kernels/distros. But for other reasons, I want to keep up with the latest kernel.

I still have the old mythbuntu distros on CD, so no problem going that way. That would mean VM-ing it, which for me is not a preferable alternative to keeping with v31.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

Install older mythbuntu.Then if you want later kernels, just install them. Shouldn't be a problem. However, kernels after 5.8.7 have a serous problem with ir-keytable not working. A patch has been submitted but will take some time to be included in newer kernels. I'm running 5.8.7 now on xubuntu 20.04.