[SOLVED] OSD and Themes

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

cliveb
Senior
Great Britain

[SOLVED] OSD and Themes

Post by cliveb »

Something that I find just slightly irritating is that when you pause something, the OSD whacks a big bar across the bottom of the screen.
Quite often we pause playback because we want to read something that just flashed by (eg. a message being shown on a phone in a drama).
And of course that big bar across the bottom of the screen sometimes obliterates what we're trying to see!

I've tried a few different themes, and some of them have an OSD that occupies a little less real estate, but they all behave in basically the same way.
What would be much more satisfactory is if there were a theme that just puts out a discrete "pause" icon in a corner of the screen (oreferably top left or right). Is there such a theme available?
Failing that, a theme that puts the pause bar across the top of the screen would be less likely to obscure what we're trying to read.

Or maybe there's some other configurarion setting that would help that I'm missing?
Last edited by cliveb on Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: OSD and Themes

Post by bill6502 »

I just press escape on my keyboard if I need to see something from the program..
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

After pausing, press the skip back or skip forward key and the pause bar will disappear in a few seconds.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
cliveb
Senior
Great Britain

Post by cliveb »

bill6502 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:58 pm
I just press escape on my keyboard if I need to see something from the program..
OMG - I've been using Mythtv for years and never realised that hitting the esc key when paused will dismiss the OSD but leave it paused.
Problem solved - thank you!
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey »

If you're happy with the fix could you possibly added [Solved] to the subject line in the first post?

Ta.
Don't forget the Wiki.
cliveb
Senior
Great Britain

Post by cliveb »

Steve Goodey wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:15 pm
If you're happy with the fix could you possibly added [Solved] to the subject line in the first post?
OK, good point. Have done so.
vidtek
Junior
Great Britain

Re: [SOLVED] OSD and Themes

Post by vidtek »

@bill6502-

I found this behaviour annoying too, and did a modification to an .xml file to shift that big bar on the bottom to the top.
Of course, I didn't document it and now after a re-install I can't remember which file I edited---can you point me in the right direction please?
I remember I went through all the themes and found the only one which put the bar at the top. I found the file difference in the xml files and just put it into the mythcentre-wide theme and it worked a treat.

Tony

EDIT__ Just found the answer. Much more elegant solution. Change line 24 of osd.xml to

Code: Select all

<area>0,40,1180,200</area>
This is the original:

<area>0,520,1180,200</area>
Myth.32 Krnl. 5.15.0-73 QT5.15.2 ubntu 22.04.1 Intel i7-7700K GTX 1660 Nvdia Hauppge Quad tunerT2 HomerundualT1
vidtek
Junior
Great Britain

Re: [SOLVED] OSD and Themes

Post by vidtek »

vidtek wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:03 pm
@bill6502-

I found this behaviour annoying too, and did a modification to an .xml file to shift that big bar on the bottom to the top.
Of course, I didn't document it and now after a re-install I can't remember which file I edited---can you point me in the right direction please?
I remember I went through all the themes and found the only one which put the bar at the top. I found the file difference in the xml files and just put it into the mythcentre-wide theme and it worked a treat.

Tony

EDIT__ Just found the answer. Much more elegant solution. Change line 24 of /usr/share/mythtv/themes/MythCenter-wide/osd.xml to

<area>0,40,1180,200</area>
This is the original:

<area>0,520,1180,200</area>
Myth.32 Krnl. 5.15.0-73 QT5.15.2 ubntu 22.04.1 Intel i7-7700K GTX 1660 Nvdia Hauppge Quad tunerT2 HomerundualT1