Recordings from HD Home run fail until power cycle

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jimls
Junior
United States of America

Recordings from HD Home run fail until power cycle

Post by jimls »

Just noticed that several days of recordings failed - they all show as 1 minute each. I tried to access the tuner directly at it's IP address with a browser and that failed. I cycled power to the tuner and then I could access it. But live TV in myth still failed. I restarted the PC runing myth and everything works.

I think things may have locked up when we had a power interruption. The status screen in mythweb didn't show any errors when things weren't working.

Is there some way to be alerted to the failure so I can cycle power? I am running 0.27 but the real issue is the tuner locking up. Maybe I should just add a UPS...
Gribnif
Junior
United States of America

Re: Recordings from HD Home run fail until power cycle

Post by Gribnif »

You might try running something to "ping" the HDHR in a cron job, and see if that fails. Possibly even something as simple as this would suffice:

Code: Select all

hdhomerun_config discover > /dev/null || mailx -s "HDHR Failed" your_email@whatever.com
This assumes that hdhomerun_config returns a zero status code if no devices are found (which it might not), and that an HDHR that won't record also does respond to a "discover" request. The first part can be tested by simply unplugging the HDHR's Ethernet cable. The second can't be reliably tested until you have another similar power outage.
jimls
Junior
United States of America

Post by jimls »

Yes, I could put something like that together pretty easily. Thought of that.

But wondering why MythTV doesn't generate an error. Maybe the logs have errors and it just doesn't show up in mythweb.

My myth box power supply won't properly restart automatically for short power interruptions. I am guessing that the tuner also has issues with short drop outs where it doesn't completely reset. I do this sort of testing of products for work but can't really lug the equipment to do the test on the tuner.
jimls
Junior
United States of America

Post by jimls »

I found some other places on line that mention crashes but they are fairly old. One mentioned putting in a switch to automatically power cycle the tuner.
https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62840

I also found that my tuner firmware was one update behind so loaded the latest (20200907). In the notes was "Fix possible crash situation" so perhaps this has been addressed.

I also plan to put some sort of periodic check the tuner is alive on the network with an email to alert me to a crash.

Thanks for the help!