v31 configuration guide?

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jimls
Junior
United States of America

v31 configuration guide?

Post by jimls » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:01 pm

Long time user trying to install a new v31 on Ubuntu 18.04. My old version of 27.6 under Ubuntu has been working fine so I didn't want to mess with it. But some equipment failures prompted me to do a needed update. Haven't messed with setup for a LONG time. Definitely not a power user but not a total newbie either.

Whats the best guide for v31 configuation? It seems things have changed and many of the guides are several versions old. My system is OTA with a SiliconDust Duo tuner. Combined BE/FE. Schedules direct for guide.

I used the PPA for v31. Maybe I would have better luck using a slightly older version? Got it installed and doing BE configuration and am really struggling. One specific problem I ran into was in setting up the recording directory. I selected /media For some reason the entry added a trailing slash and somewhere an additional slash as added so it complained. It always seemed to force a trailing slash and add another.

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Re: v31 configuration guide?

Post by wesnewell » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:24 pm

/media is probably not a good choice as it is used by the system for hot plug devices like usb things. There are several default directories usually set by install package under /var/lib/mythtv
es@mythfe0:~$ ls /var/lib/mythtv
banners coverart db_backups fanart livetv music recordings screenshots streaming trailers videos
wes@mythfe0:~$
I would use these if I had a single disk system. Otherwise just create your own making sure they are writable by user mythtv.
IIRC, there wasn't a recordings dir in the original setup for v31, so just add it or everything you don't designate will go to default I believe.
Can't help with the hdhr other than tell you it must have its drivers installed and setup.
Run setup as user mythtv or you'll have to copy SD files to the mythtv home to get it to work.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.

bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:09 pm

^^^ Agree!

The "Filesystem Hierarchy Standard" is here: https://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FH ... index.html
and /var/lib/<name> is the right place.

Ignore the trailing / issue,

The various Release Notes should help with any major changes. [And since you're in the
States and possibly using Schedules Direct, you'll really want to the the XMLTV part!]

E.g https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_31 . The version numbers changed from
the 'old' 0.x to simply x. Version 0.28 was the last zero-dot one.

jimls
Junior
United States of America

Post by jimls » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:38 pm

don't think I had to run setup as mythtv on the old setup but mythbuntu may have handled some of that for me. I have been running back end setup from the normal user gui. It's a combined FE/BE so has the desktop/gui. Without mythtv password how is best to run setup as mythtv?

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:17 pm

Previous versions handled SD differently. with the xmltv grabbers it doesn't work the same. It installs the control files in the users home that is running the setup. That's a problem. I still run setup as a regular user too, but I know that anything to do with guide data must be copied to the mythtv home afterwards. Not a big deal for me. And once xmltv grabber is setup right, it shouldn't change, so you can still do everything else in setup as a regular user afaik since most is stored in the mythconverg db.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.

jimls
Junior
United States of America

Post by jimls » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:19 pm

Would symbolic links or some such allow the setup to automagically deal with the mythtv user files?

bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:35 pm

When testing, I used a hard link for the <source name>.xmltv files. Just one more thing to
administer (and break.)