New ATSC tuners

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jpasher
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: New ATSC tuners

Post by jpasher »

Hmmm. I never knew about multirec, since I was using a cable card up until January, which doesn't have subchannels. In that case, maybe you can just ignore everything I said. :) Maybe I'll have to try multirec at some point.
daraden
Senior
United States of America

Post by daraden »

Multirec works fine on HDHomerun tuners, Its the prime(cablecard) and the extend(transcoding) that can only do a single stream per tuner.

As for the network bandwidth you are only looking at a maximum of 20Mbps per ATSC tuner.
Lost Dog
Junior
United States of America

Post by Lost Dog »

I've used the HDHR multirec in the past and it worked well. The need has been pretty low because the sub channels in my area don't have much I'm interested in. With the new ATSC3.0 rollout, at least for the Portland, OR market, multirec will be important.

From KyL416 on the AVS Forum:
KPDX and KRCW will be converting to ATSC 3.0 on July 28th.

KPDX's RF 30 signal will carry ATSC 3.0 simulcasts of KPDX, KPTV and KGW
KRCW's RF 33 signal will carry ATSC 3.0 simulcasts of KRCW, KATU and KOIN
This means all the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, FOX) are being broadcast on two RF signals. The new HDHR with ATSC3 only has two 3.0 tuners (and two 1.0 tuners) so having the main stations on two RF will help.
mathog
Senior
United States of America

Post by mathog »

wesnewell wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:17 pm
Will it, or won't it?
https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/h ... opment.pdf
Program/PID filtering:

The HDHomeRun supports hardware PID filtering. When used this reduces the network bandwidth to that of the sub-channel being watched/recorded. This is useful for US-QAM as the HDHomeRun will stream 80Mbps of network traffic if both tuners are streaming unfiltered.There are three options for using the hardware PID filter support - filtering by program number,custom PID handling, or built in Windows PID handling.
Not sure if this applies to over the air ATSC or not though. In any case, that would be 80 Mbps out of 1000 Mbps, assuming the case is right and that is bits and not bytes.

If your machine is pulling in the full stream from a card, at what point do the shows get split off into separate files? Is MythTV doing that automagically or do you have scripts in place for this purpose?
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

Mythtv handles it.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.