Interest in mythweb cleanup?

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jpasher
Newcomer
United States of America

Interest in mythweb cleanup?

Post by jpasher »

I just recently upgraded to MythTV 30 from 0.24 (yes, I was running that extremely old version for different reasons). I haven't moved to 31, simply because I know there were some additional major revamps in that release, so I'm just trying to modernize a little bit for now and test the waters since I'm making such a big version jump.

One issue I encountered due to running 0.24 for so long was mythweb having compatibility trouble with newer PHP releases. Some of these things were fixed as they came up and patched in the newer mythweb releases, but I've noticed that even in the v31 release, there are some things that will trigger problems in newer PHP versions (and probably eventually leading to more fatal errors as the PHP group continues to clean up legacy code practices).

Part of the reason a lot of this is hidden is because the errors are largely hidden by the error_reporting() setting in includes/errors.php. When I'm developing code, I personally like to run with all errors shown (including notices) so I can catch any possible coding mistakes. When I turn on all reporting for mythweb, tons of things start showing up (mainly notices, but some others as well). I've started cleaning up the code to avoid triggering these things, but I've learned that the changeset is going to be huge.

This leads to my question. Is there any interest in having the mythweb code cleaned up and then possibly later modernized? I've made a lot of changes so far, but if it's not going to be useful or accepted back into the main code tree, I figured I'd just turn the error reporting back down and leave it be. I know that due to the magnitude of the changes being made, it would make backporting to earlier versions very difficult.
stuarta
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Interest in mythweb cleanup?

Post by stuarta »

We will certainly welcome patches to MythWeb.

Many patches have been applied to the version released as part of v31.0,
primarily to cater for newer php releases.

You can run even master mythweb against v30 as there aren't any breaking changes
to avoid, and you will start from the latest set of patches.

Please raise tickets in trac. you will need a github account
to login. We also welcome github pull requests, just drop us a ticket in trac pointing to
it :)

Many thanks
Stuart
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

It is your 'itch to scratch' but have you considered investing your time in adding missing features to WebFrontend, instead?

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/WebFrontend

MythWeb's direct access to the database drags against ongoing development of core Myth functionality.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
jpasher
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by jpasher »

Honestly, I didn't even know the WebFrontend existed (I've been running 0.24 for about eight years). I was a little curious why the "in browser" player in mythweb was still wanting to use flv files and not something more modern (although the WebFrontend doesn't play videos for me, prompting to install JW Player, but I don't know what I enter for the username and password when I go to that page on the sidebar). I'll look at it a bit.

I've noticed a lot of quirks with the way mythweb pulls the data (direct SQL vs the MythTV PHP bindings). I haven't done much with it in the past (mainly just fixing the PHP 7 errors in the 0.24 version so it would still work for me), but I can see how it can cause issues due to direct DB queries.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

admin & mythtv are what you wanted to enter.