Resurrecting a Simplified Version of Mythbuntu Control Centre

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nomotivo
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Resurrecting a Simplified Version of Mythbuntu Control Centre

Post by nomotivo »

I think I will probably spin up a v20 Ubuntu vm and test it there. I didn't want to upgrade the LTS server because, well, it's complicated...
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

A package has been added to the Mythbuntu Control Panel PPA for Ubuntu and Xubuntu Hirsute (21.04).
Ted | My blog
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

Installing Xubuntu 21.04 using the minimal install option does not install the aptdaemon and python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets packages. It also does not install the GUI Software Updater. A new MCP version has been added to the PPA with aptdaemon and python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets added to the debian control file so these two packages are installed automatically.
Ted | My blog
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey »

Great, thanks Ted.
Don't forget the Wiki.
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey »

Ted,

Thanks for the latest update to MCP. :D
Don't forget the Wiki.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

You're welcome. Now that the repos tab is done for now, I was thinking about adding an option in the startup tab to launch the frontend directly without using the default script.
Ted | My blog
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

MCP now has an option that will allow starting MythTV Frontend (mythfrontend.real) directly without using the default startup script. I will edit the wiki shortly and explain that doing this will not allow the frontend to automatically restart if it exits unexpectedly.
Ted | My blog
yawlhoo
Senior
United States of America

Post by yawlhoo »

Great! Thanks.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

You're welcome.
Ted | My blog
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

A tab has been added for IR remote configuration and installing on-screen remotes. Some notes about configuring an IR remote:
  • MCP can be used for the configuration only with devices that are supported by a kernel driver.
  • The option to automatically modify the keycode file modifies some of the most important keys but not all of them, so some manual editing of this file is necessary to have a fully functional remote.
  • The option to set the file active for continued use adds a single new line (* * /etc/rc_keymaps/mcp_kcf.toml) to /etc/rc_maps.cfg. Additional rc_maps.cfg edits may be necessary in some situations.
MCC had a link to Mythmote for Android devices and an iPhone app. It appears that the iPhone app MCC had a link to is no longer available. MCP has a link to Mythmote, but I do not know of a current iPhone app with good reviews. MCP Remote is an on-screen remote for Ubuntu and other Linux distros that support Python 3 and GTK 3. I'll add some more info about MCP Remote at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MCP_Remote.

Thats about it for adding features to MCP unless someone would like to help -- at least for the near future.
Ted | My blog
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

MCP will be updated soon for Ubuntu 20.04 to fix a bug in the Startup Behavior module. Since MCP modified the frontend desktop configuration file to start the frontend directly, an update would revert the change. The new MCP version will create a separate desktop configuration file, and a new "MythTV Direct Frontend" system menu entry will appear.

If you have used MCP to enable directly starting the frontend, please start MCP and unselect this option, update MCP, reboot, start MCP, and reapply the selection to directly start the frontend. Alternatively, the desktop configuration file can be manually edited. Please post a message here if a more detailed explanation for how to do this is needed.

If anyone encounters an issue with MCP, please describe the issue at https://github.com/mythcp/mythbuntu-con ... nel/issues or post a message in this thread.

Happy new year :D
Ted | My blog
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey »

Thanks Ted, followed your instructions and seemed to work OK.

Steve.
Don't forget the Wiki.
PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Post by PhilB »

A great utility thanks!
An enhancement suggestion: I had to change the bind-address line in /etc/mysql/conf.d/mythtv.cnf of the backend to :
bind-address= 0.0.0.0
to allow a remote frontend to operate.
It may be that this is already included - my copy of MCP does not have that mysql icon shown bottom right and it may be that is where it is hidden.
Phil
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

Thanks for the information. When "enable networking" is selected, one of the things that MCP does is modify /etc/mysql/conf.d/mythtv.cnf. It changes "#bind-address=::" to "bind-address=::". My understanding is that this is sufficient to allow a frontend on the network to access the backend. This was recently discussed here. When I get some free time, I will look further into this. If someone knows if something additional needs to be done to the mythtv.cnf file in a specific situation, please add a reply with an explanation.
Ted | My blog
PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Post by PhilB »

Apologies - ignore my posting. On further investigation I think you are quite right. /etc/mysql/conf.d/mythtv.cnf did indeed have lines:
[mysqld]
bind-address=::
At first that did not work but changing to 0.0.0.0 did. Changing back to :: and it still works.
Just maybe I did not reload mysql?
Phil