netflix integration

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mathog
Senior
United States of America

netflix integration

Post by mathog »

After upgrading to mythtv 30 and ubuntu 18.04 LTS tried to install netflix integration following instructions here:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Netflix_Native_Integration

things went wrong at this point:

Code: Select all

patch --directory=/usr --strip=0 <netflix.patch 2>&1 | tee 20191103_netflix_patch.log
patching file bin/lircfirefox_config.py
patching file bin/lircfirefox.py
patching file share/mythtv/mythnetvision/lirc.firefox
can't find file to patch at input line 447
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|diff --git share/mythtv/netvisionmenu.xml share/mythtv/netvisionmenu.xml
|index 8d0ee50..b071666 100644
|--- share/mythtv/netvisionmenu.xml
|+++ share/mythtv/netvisionmenu.xml
--------------------------
File to patch: 
Skip this patch? [y] 
Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored
patching file share/mythtv/themes/Terra/menu-ui.xml
Hunk #1 succeeded at 519 (offset -5 lines).
Hunk #2 succeeded at 939 (offset -5 lines).
patching file share/mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/library.xml
Hunk #1 succeeded at 48 (offset 8 lines).
patching file share/mythtv/themes/Terra/watermarks/internet.jpg
patching file share/mythtv/themes/default/Netflix_Web_Logo.jpg
patching file share/mythtv/themes/default/amazon.jpg
patching file share/mythtv/themes/default/dailyshow.jpg
It looks like "netvisionmenu.xml" is not part of the standard 30 install. How should that be installed? I see a copy here:

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythplugins/mythnetvision/theme/menus/netvisionmenu.xml
but suspect that something else must also be changed to activate it.

Thank
blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Re: netflix integration

Post by blm-ubunet »

The latest mythbuntu PPA 18.04 build logs:
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/44690173 ... ING.txt.gz
shows..
MythNetvision requires the MythTV Python bindings (MythTV)
Disabling MythNetvision due to missing dependencies.

I get same error in a local build. I think it compiles on my 'production' system.
Actually, mythplugin configure script appears to not find just installed mythtv python bindings (/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/MythTV/).
Hack the script & it compiles & seems to run NetVision browse internet videos okay but it is only able to use an old cached sitemap & nothing really works..
mathog
Senior
United States of America

Post by mathog »

blm-ubunet wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:57 pm
The latest mythbuntu PPA 18.04 build logs:
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/44690173 ... ING.txt.gz
shows..
MythNetvision requires the MythTV Python bindings (MythTV)
Disabling MythNetvision due to missing dependencies.

dpkg --list | grep -i myth | grep -i python
ii  libmyth-python                        2:30.0+fixes.201910161454.2855e29~ubuntu18.04.1   all          Python library to access some MythTV features
Is that what you are referring to?
blm-ubunet wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:57 pm
I get same error in a local build. I think it compiles on my 'production' system.
Actually, mythplugin configure script appears to not find just installed mythtv python bindings (/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/MythTV/).
Hack the script & it compiles & seems to run NetVision browse internet videos okay but it is only able to use an old cached sitemap & nothing really works..
Well that is disappointing. The media menu currently shows netflix, amazon, and for some reason the Daily Show, but none of them work.
blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Post by blm-ubunet »

Your version of MythTV might still have NetVision.
The latest build logs show that MythNetVision plugin is not being built.
There is a list of dependencies for NetVision with python bindings at the top.

I do not have that package libmyth-python or any mythtv pkg installed.
When you build from source, libmyth-python binding package is not created but the same contains are installed directly..
The configure script just does not find them & so MythNetVision is not being built.
I assume the same problem with Ubuntu PPA build servers.

To compile/build mythtv & plugins with NetVision, I had to defeat the configure script.
But I only get to browse links to files from 2008-2014.
I recall it works better on my production machine but I did (try to) make some changes to NetVision code (years ago).

When you say:
The media menu currently shows netflix, amazon, and for some reason the Daily Show, but none of them work.
Is this in MythTV NetVision ?

AFAICT The only real dependency that this 'netflix integration' has on MythTV install is using the NetVision FE menus. It does not seem to use any binary code just the menus to launch firefox or chrome.
You can add the menu entries into any part of the menu.
I believe some add kodi to the main menu.
mathog
Senior
United States of America

Post by mathog »

OK, got it to "sort of work".

Undo all the changes the patch made
apt-get install mythnetvision
reinstall the patch
Except nothing will start because the patch put "/usr/local/bin/lircfirefox.py" in library.xml but that python script is actually in /usr/bin. Changed that in library.xml and then the buttons will start the browsers. However...

netflix: runs full screen in google chrome --kiosk mode. It completely ignores "exit" from the remote control. If there is a keyboard and mouse plugged in those can control the (dreadful) netflix full screen interface. Unfortunately since it is in kiosk mode there is no way to get out of that browser except through a separate ssh session and a command line "kill". Not so wonderful for casual use in the living room! mythfrontend is actually run from a script which has a lirc button associated which blows up everything and restarts. I suppose that could be modified to look to see if chrome is running, and if so, blow that up first.

youtube: runs in firefox. Works OK in a small window but bogs down horribly in full screen. Probably this is a case of youtube using some form of encoding which the nvidia driver cannot readily decode, so that it falls back to the CPU. "top" shows an awful lot of CPU usage. This was with the nvidia-driver-390 and an NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 730] card. Xorg.0.log shows vdpau support, but maybe it needs VAAPI or something else?

Beginning to think that a streaming stick of some kind might be a lot less work. Tired to avoid that as these sticks seem to have all gone over to wifi only and the TV happens to be in the deadest wifi spot in the house, with the chimney/fireplace between it and the router.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

It completely ignores "exit" from the remote control. If there is a keyboard and mouse plugged in those can control the (dreadful) netflix full screen interface. Unfortunately since it is in kiosk mode there is no way to get out of that browser except through a separate ssh session and a command line "kill".
Consider installing wmctrl. An example use of wmctrl to close a Chromium kiosk window gracefully is shown in step 5 here.
Ted | My blog
mathog
Senior
United States of America

Post by mathog »

Some trick to getting youtube to play videos OK in full screen (1080p) mode? The graphics card is: GIGABYTE Ultra Durable 2 Series GeForce GT 730 DirectX 12 GV-N730SL-2GL 2GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x 8 Low Profile Video Card. (No fan.)

Once a Firefox browser is up, with a keyboard and mouse plugged in, navigated to youtube.com, entered "taylor swift" and started the "shake it off" video (randomly selected test video). That plays OK in a small window but paused for long periods in full screen mode. The right click, "nerd info" option showed it was using vp8 or vp9 (I don't recall which.) Installed addon h264ify

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/h264ify/

and restarted the browser. Same video. It ran somewhat better, still not great. Some pauses, not as long.

Upgraded the driver to "nividia-driver-440", restarted the system, and no performance change.
Set "layers.acceleration.force-enabled" to "true", no change.

If any of you can play that video on a similar graphics card please tell me how you did it.

Thanks.