Use VLC instead of internal player

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

devnull
Junior
Canada

Use VLC instead of internal player

Post by devnull »

My research on this topic concludes that this is not possible, but I wanted to see if a dev could confirm.

I want to watch Live TV and my recordings using VLC. I adjusted the Media Settings (and .ts file type association) to use VLC (as per this article: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VLC) but it does not affect Live TV or recorded broadcasts.

My research online suggests the Media Settings value only affects videos MythTV detects(?) and there are some issues with vlc not handling the "mythtv://" protocol correctly.

My research ends there because it seems like it is not well supported. Wife and I mainly want to watch stuff on VLC because we're used to all the hotkeys and like the seeking better on it.
blm-ubunet
Senior
Cambodia

Re: Use VLC instead of internal player

Post by blm-ubunet »

I believe any direct support for external player was ripped out 5-8 years ago.

No other video player (I've used) comes close to MythTV for UI especially seeking.
IMO MythTV with a multi-media keyboard is without compare.. Seeking is precise & near instantaneous except for FOSS mkv format (major design flaw).

I've been forced to start using "mpv" to play BD & BD rips because mythtv master locks up X display server.
Also had the odd TV broadcast that has locked up MythTV but mpv can play on loop for 11 hours.
Sadly, mpv does have superior video playback quality.

I believe plenty of people use kodi as frontend to mythtv backend recorder, it has a mythtv plugin.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

...we're used to all the hotkeys...
The mythfrontend key assignments are adjustable.
Ted | My blog
devnull
Junior
Canada

Post by devnull »

Thanks blm-ubunet. I thought as much, but wanted to confirm.

heyted -- ain't nobody got time for that. I'd rather complain online ;) But I will have to deal, it's all good.