Preset tuner channel

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PapaOz
Newcomer
United States of America

Preset tuner channel

Post by PapaOz »

[Commit][/Commit]I am having trouble setting up my mythtv software. I can not figure out how to configure my Hauppauge HVR-250 to be preset to channel 3. I can not find a "preset tuner to channel" entry on any page of the setup app.

There is a page in the mythtv wiki at this page:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Connecting_ ... _Cable_Sat
which has a screenshot of a page titled "Connect source to input". It shows a line
"Preset tuner to channel:".

The closest I can get to this page on my system is
backend-setup > Input Connections. Then on the line
"MPEG : /dev/video0 (tuner 1) Schedules Direct JSON
I press the right arrow button and see a page with the following items:

Input name
Display name
Video Source
External Channel Change Command
Scan for Channels
Fetch channels from listings source
Starting channel Interactions between inputs

This is similar to the screenshot but it omits the crucial entry:
"Preset tuner to channel".

I am also confused by the fact that the example screenshot shows the video source to be "Cable TV STB", which would seem to be a source of content, where my page shows "Schedules Direct JSON", which is a source of listings. There is a drop-down arrow next to "Schedules Direct JSON". If I click on that I see a choice between "None" and "Schedules Direct JSON"

I have looked in (I think) every branch of the user interface and I can not find a way to set a preset channel for a tuner.

My cable service is from Comcast. The cable feeds a Motorola DTR100 box. That is cabled to my HVR-250, which is in a Dell Optiplex 755 PC. The Dell runs Linux 4.15.0-45201902141402-generic.

I am using that version, which I got from Hauppague, because it is the only version I have found that is explicitly claimed to support analog input from the HVR-250. I suspect that successor versions would do so, but until get a working system I am reluctant to upgrade the OS.

Mythtv is version 29.1.

I would be grateful if someone would tell me how to establish a preset channel for my tuner. And if there is a way to test whether the setting is, in fact, effective I would appreciate hearing how to do that as well.

TIA
Last edited by Steve Goodey on Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added url link for new user.