Programme Guide, HD and SD channels

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

cliveb
Senior
Great Britain

Programme Guide, HD and SD channels

Post by cliveb »

I'm experimenting with getting Freeview HD working. (MythTV 29.1 running on Xubuntu 18.10, BTW). Progress is being made, but one thing has perplexed me:

After setting up a recording on an HD channel (eg. BBC1 HD, channel 101), the programme guide shows that it will be recorded on both the HD and SD channels, ie. on channel 1 as well as channel 101. Looking at the Upcoming Recordings confirms that it is channel 101 to be recorded.
Is this behavious in the EPG deliberate? If so, what is the rationale? Or have I set up something wrong?
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Re: Programme Guide, HD and SD channels

Post by Steve Goodey »

Mine does the same and Programme Finder also.
Don't forget the Wiki.
cliveb
Senior
Great Britain

Post by cliveb »

Steve Goodey wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:15 pm
Mine does the same and Programme Finder also.
I'd expect Program Finder to do that - you clearly want to know which channels are broadcasting the programme.

But for the EPG to indicate it's going to record something that it won't seems a bit strange.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

If you set a program to record that's on multiple channels at the same time and you don't want to record all of them, then use one or more of the many filters to isolate the one or more you do want to record.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
cliveb
Senior
Great Britain

Post by cliveb »

wesnewell wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:23 pm
If you set a program to record that's on multiple channels at the same time and you don't want to record all of them, then use one or more of the many filters to isolate the one or more you do want to record.
I think you've misunderstood. It doesn't record both programmes - only the one that was scheduled (on the HD channel).
But the EPG says that the SD channel will be recorded, even though it isn't.
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Post by MikeB2013 »

At first glance it looks strange, but all it is doing is telling you that the program will be recorded, not necessarily on which channel. Upcoming recordings screen has that detail.

If you always prefer HD there is an option to tell mythtv.
In mythtv frontend go to Setup>Video>Recording Priorities>Set Recording Priorities>Scheduler Options and increase the "HDTV recording priority" to say 10. This tells the scheduler to always prefer HD if possible.

Mike
cliveb
Senior
Great Britain

Post by cliveb »

MikeB2013 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:02 pm
At first glance it looks strange, but all it is doing is telling you that the program will be recorded, not necessarily on which channel. Upcoming recordings screen has that detail.
OK, understood.
MikeB2013 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:02 pm
If you always prefer HD there is an option to tell mythtv.
In mythtv frontend go to Setup>Video>Recording Priorities>Set Recording Priorities>Scheduler Options and increase the "HDTV recording priority" to say 10. This tells the scheduler to always prefer HD if possible.
I tend to only set rules on specific channels (don't use "record all showings on any channel"), so guess I can ignore this.

However, out of curiosity I just tried that - set HDTV priority to 10. Then I selected Dads Army from the Program Finder and told it ro record all showings, and it chose to schedule BBC2 instead of BBC2 HD. It only seemed to prefer the HD channel after I set the individual channel priority.