HDHomeRun Premium TV

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sfatula
Senior
United States of America

HDHomeRun Premium TV

Post by sfatula »

Anyone see the announcement? Perhaps I am late to the game, but, as far as I know, this is the first time it's trivial to record using MythTV from a streaming TV service. I think this is a fantastic announcement! So, recording the "cable" channels and live tv OTA channels can be done via the same system (Myth) and method.

https://www.silicondust.com/premium-tv/

The only hassle will be the guide, but, that is solvable.
yawlhoo
Senior
United States of America

Re: HDHomeRun Premium TV

Post by yawlhoo »

I commented on this in the Troubleshooting section of this forum, and got some useful feedback and ideas.

I agree this is fantastic, and I am eager to get something set up to view and record these new channels, however rough it is at first. I have signed up for this service and have managed to view channels in VLC and in a Kodi app.

But I use MythTV and an HDHomerun Connect Quatro to view and record OTA TV, so rather than re-inventing the wheel, I'd prefer to modify my installation to do it all in MythTV. You say: "So, recording the "cable" channels and live tv OTA channels can be done via the same system (Myth) and method." Have you done this?

If so, could you give some details on what you have done?
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

I have not done this yet as I will not be using it until year end when a contract runs out. I'll look for your post there.
ski522
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by ski522 »

Just read the following
https://www.techhive.com/article/330115 ... users.html

If I can use MythTV to record these streams, finally a solution to the problem of streaming services!

Has anyone actually used the service with MythTV yet?
ibedonc
Junior
United States of America

Post by ibedonc »

I have it working
kubi47
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by kubi47 »

Can you give details on how you got this working? I have been trying, but have not yet succeeded.
yawlhoo
Senior
United States of America

Post by yawlhoo »

There's more complete discussion of this topic in the forum "Troubleshooting" thread, under "Premium TV with HDHomerun tuners."
yawlhoo
Senior
United States of America

Post by yawlhoo »

It appears Silicon Dust is shutting down its "Premium TV" service. See, for example:

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/vie ... 29&t=69262

The company says it is "... not done innovating. We are excited about upcoming plans for improving the cord cutting and cord shaving experiences."

Sad. It would have been nice to have an alternative to the vicious, rapacious telcom industry.
urbnsr
Junior
United States of America

Post by urbnsr »

Yep - Demo channels no longer show up on my device. Very little notice, too. I was on the side waiting for Hallmark channel to return. Now, I guess it was good Hallmark didn't return. I would hate to have quit cable and now have to go back. Too bad. I hope they can offer something similar in the future.

Good thing the hardware can be used for OTA channels. Without OTA, it would now be a paperweight. And it's not even heavy enough for that! :-)