can not set channels to look at antenna or input. of choice. I have 4 hdhomeruns to 4 antennas.

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jh15
Junior
United States of America

can not set channels to look at antenna or input. of choice. I have 4 hdhomeruns to 4 antennas.

Post by jh15 »

Hello,

I had a system crash, and decided to build a remote backend and frontend from scratch, but running a combo to start. . At present have clean install of mythbuntu iso feb 2018 with .29/29 installed.

Last build was 2 years ago, and I remember being able to tell each channel what to look at.

example: PBS on antenna facing south, ABC, CBS on antenna facing north, WMTW aiming at mount Washington, etc.

4 antennas in attic, with snow, and forest of trees, perfect! hdhomeruns eliminate coax loss and one cat5 cable to attic to the hdhomeruns.

I can't remember how I did it. I thought I made up 4 video sources, 1 for each tuner.
This build, the source setup is just for schedules direct.
I thought in the channel editor I could tell: use south hdhomerun antenna for PBS, North tuner for ABC etc.

Talked in IRC a bit and he thought maybe setting channel groups etc. I never used groups in the past for anything.

Seems like I'm missing some menu item.

anyone able to designate their channels to different tuners?
thanks
Panas 65" ZT60 plasma.
50" samsung DLP
4 attic antennas
4 HD Homeruns
RPi4's
PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Re: van not set channels to look at antenna or input. of choice. I have 4 hdhomeruns to 4 antennas.

Post by PhilB »

You do have an interesting configuration!

If the Homerun is configured like other tuners then yes, one source per antenna/tuner and scan once per source.

You may well end up with duplicate stations – one of your aerials may pick up from a wrong transmitter and the Myth scheduler may well choose that weaker signal instead of the proper one giving poor reception/recording. In general it will duplicate a whole multiplex and so you will have to eliminate the stations in those weaker multiplexes.

There are a number of ways of fixing this by removing the weak stations - one way is to use my channel editor
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Editor

This will show you all the stations; can show duplicates; also the multiplexes and their frequencies so you can identify the rogues from internet data. It will also allow you to delete or hide all stations in a particular source/multiplex in one fell swoop.

If you do use this tool then I would really appreciate a diagnostic report of your setup for my testing purposes – before you delete stations. Help>diagnostics will generate this. You can get the Email address from Help> version.

Hth
Phil
jh15
Junior
United States of America

Re: can not set channels to look at antenna or input. of choice. I have 4 hdhomeruns to 4 antennas.

Post by jh15 »

I'm pretty sure I did that, just don't remember 2 years ago about tuner selection. Could have sworn I set up 4 inputs independently pointing into each channel memory.

I do remember getting confused over 'old channels' 'new channels added', found xx old channels. etc.

I did end up at times back then with lots of duplicates and went through 1 by one, but still do not remember picking best quality signal ones.

FYI Mythweb broke over a Year ago, and am so glad to have it back with my new install.

This afternoon, I installed Ubuntu 16.04, updated fully with synaptic. Imaged to ISO backup. Ran the 29 mythbuntu ppa. Put in the mythbuntu control centre and switched to xbuntu desktop. Once that dust settled I started with the channel scans, used mythweb to turn off all the ota guides. About to ISO it again

Interestingly It looked like no or few dups. I got it recording the news, but it is hiccuping.

I was hoping my little Antec Intel box would work as just a frontend/backend, but no good video card. I first tried Mythdora in 2003-4, on it but HD was too much, and I had not yet discovered tht HDhomeruns. I started with a PCHDTV linux card, but signals too weak, box couldn't handle them etc.

I later looked into reselling the Mythic Dragon boxes, and ordered one to try. Lasted many years till power blast.

Since we couldn't be without, I took the drive from the Dragon and popped it in a 20.00 yard sale machine for the last few years.

20.00 one recently became corrupted so I decided to move up to .29, separate boxes etc. I have much better boxes, but hoped the little Antec would just serve the house. Idles at 50 watts or so, with max excursions to 135 watts.

I would use my best box, but it is locked to my W10/pclinuxos box. got many others.

Anyway performance issues aside, I'll pursue the channel stuff. Wife will have to watch tv in real time :). Mostly PBS though, not too painful.

I'll keep some notes, but will review your editor post thoroughly first.

Thanks
JH
Panas 65" ZT60 plasma.
50" samsung DLP
4 attic antennas
4 HD Homeruns
RPi4's
jh15
Junior
United States of America

Re: can not set channels to look at antenna or input. of choice. I have 4 hdhomeruns to 4 antennas. (Solved)

Post by jh15 »

NOT SOLVED YET.
Below didn't help.
Workaround for now:
Use manual scheduler in mythweb. You can set preferred input.
Ignore:
I will post a howto tomorrow. I now remember what I did a couple years ago. I'll put in t he details tomorrow. Hint: Instead of having one input source (schedules direct). I made 4 sources and named them after each tyner serial - input.

Then in the channel editor I can take the duplicated channels away that are pointing at the wrong antenna.

Its late, I'm tired, have remote backend up, and need to finish the tuning.

Next step is a raspberry pi 3 frontend to stick on the back of my plasma and get the yard sale box out of the living room. (possibly room for one of my turntables.)
Last edited by jh15 on Fri May 11, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panas 65" ZT60 plasma.
50" samsung DLP
4 attic antennas
4 HD Homeruns
RPi4's
PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Re: can not set channels to look at antenna or input. of choice. I have 4 hdhomeruns to 4 antennas.

Post by PhilB »

Out of interest, did you consider mixing the output of the 4 aerials then splitting to the tuners?
Phil
jh15
Junior
United States of America

Post by jh15 »

Hello,

I responded a couple days ago. I'll repeat some, is late. I checked up on this thead from my laptop, and said some kind of error here.

I've been in antenna or related rf fields all my life (well, not yet).

Your advice might work in say a flat plains area. I have very high gain and very directional antennas in my situation.

If I combined them, then the result would be several antennas pointing in multiple directions. This would make multi-path happen in an urban environment. Ghosts in the analog days. RF is still analog :)

Also any splitter pads the signal down3db, and I i need any microvolt not wasted.
Just sniped an old 2wo input hdhr today on ebay.

One of my dual tuners now has just one antenna input with an internal (lossy) splitter inside. Will look into opening it and providing 2 inputs when I get my 'new' one.

ch8 here is on hairy edge, and another dedicated input's 3db gain could help.

Anyway, my workaround:

When you manually program a program, channel, you can choose the input.

Some edit menus will also let you change things after programming.

So told wife to just select the repeating daily or weekly shows, using the usual menu. I would go in and edit.

If anything suddenly needed to be added, she is savvy enough to work the mythweb page.

Rpi 3 b+ is hurting as a front end for mpeg 2, but thinking if I can get backend to auto transcode to mp4 or so , it could work.

Keeping old box in living room, backend on my best box for awhile.

Thanks
jh
Panas 65" ZT60 plasma.
50" samsung DLP
4 attic antennas
4 HD Homeruns
RPi4's
jh15
Junior
United States of America

Post by jh15 »

WOW! raspberry pi 3 b+ doing 1080p60 as a frontend to my remote backend. while surfing and such.

Thanks you guys for help on the on the tuner stuff.

when new tuner arrives, will just go in attic and pacify which antennas to put in which input nozzle.

I'll post info on this accomplishment and help others.
jh
Panas 65" ZT60 plasma.
50" samsung DLP
4 attic antennas
4 HD Homeruns
RPi4's
GregTippitt
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by GregTippitt »

I used to have a similar situation, but with only 2 outside antennas. I set up two different lineups in SchedulesDirect and then used the appropriate one for the two tuners I had on each feed. In SchedulesDirect you can delete/select the channels for each one that you want to receive. For example you might have Fox, ABC, and CBS on one config, and then have CW, PBS, and NBC on the second one.

I wish I could give more precise instructions, but it has been a few years since I used that setup so I don't have an example now of how it was configured. It was also for a prior version of MythTV. I remember that I used the SchedulesDirect's lineups to omit channels I didn't want for each one rather than using MythTV's channel editor. I had a situation where some of the channels in each direction were too weak for me to receive, so I removed the weak duplicates from each and only had the ones I wanted from the source I wanted, such as XXX from 1 and not 2, and YYY from 2 and not 1.

I had 2 lineups defined on SchedulesDirect, then I setup a Video Source in MythTV backend setup for each. In the config where you enter the SchedulesDirect ID and password, of each video source there was a option for which lineup to use. Then you select which of the Video Sources to use for each capture card.

Good Luck,
Greg
jh15
Junior
United States of America

Post by jh15 »

Thanks for the info, sounds like what I did at one time.

Just got the 'new' 2 input hdhr today. It came with the original PSU (many were problematic, one of mine failed with many volts of ripple shown on my oscilloscope. Don't know if that was the age of the 'bad capacitors' time). He also included a d-link wart of 1.2 amp, so wonder if he had grief in the past.

I'll use it for experimenting without taking down the main box. Plenty of PIs here and old mythbox as a Guinea pig backend.

Since I know now what the backend wants, I'll just swap around all the antennas to the wanted input nozzles.

P.S. Just discovered the new Samsung 32G Evo plus cards will not take my frontend clone from my backup drive. Something about kernel may be too old.

That is a clonzilla remark. Was being lazy (and safe) using my old CZ disk instead of DD.

Amazon had sold some that were counterfeit in the past 3rd party seller, black plastic instead of white, etc. Mine are white. Going to test now, have 45 mins before needing the backend up for SHMBO royal wedding march.
Panas 65" ZT60 plasma.
50" samsung DLP
4 attic antennas
4 HD Homeruns
RPi4's
jh15
Junior
United States of America

Post by jh15 »

The amazon samsung cards are fine. just a clonezilla bug, I guess, will use dd for now.

fyi the Raspberry pi 3 B+ frontend works perfectly. takes a few watts, and I will velcro it to the back of my zt60 65" plasma.
Panas 65" ZT60 plasma.
50" samsung DLP
4 attic antennas
4 HD Homeruns
RPi4's