Migrating Recorded Program Data to Newer Schema [Solved]

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BillK
Senior
United States of America

Migrating Recorded Program Data to Newer Schema [Solved]

Post by BillK »

Specifically .27 to .28. Here's the backstory. I upgraded Mythbuntu 14.04 on PC to 16.04, but there were so many problems I decided to do a fresh 16.04 install on a usb (3.0) stick. The 14.04 PC has mythtv .27 and all my recording data. The 16.04 (usb) now has mythtv .28 with no recording data but seems to be functioning well.

Question: Can I migrate recorded program data, and perhaps recording rules, by using mysqldump to dump specific tables and then restore them to the newer schema? If so, what tables?
Last edited by BillK on Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mathog
Senior
United States of America

Re: Migrating Recorded Program Data to Newer Schema

Post by mathog »

I recently had the exact same problem. See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2408
BillK
Senior
United States of America

Post by BillK »

mathog wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:49 pm
I recently had the exact same problem. See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2408
Did you succeed in solving your problem? I had looked at that thread and it didn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling.
BillK
Senior
United States of America

Post by BillK »

First I ran /usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_backup.pl in 14.04 environment. Then I rebooted into 16.04 and ran /usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_restore.pl. The frontend told me to run mythtv-setup to update the schema. After doing that, I started the frontend and all my old recordings were there, BUT when I tried to play them, what happened was the sound from the recording came on and the entire frontend window disappeared!

This is the same thing I experienced when I tried doing a straight upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04. I suspect this is related to .28 using a different video file format (.ts) than .27 (.mpg). Just one MORE problem ...
MikeB2013
Senior
Great Britain

Post by MikeB2013 »

I have seen something similar before (playback starts with some sound then the mythfrontend window goes away). I am currently running master (pre30) but I have some old recordings from earlier mythtv versions (.mpg files) which play properly.

In my case this was nothing to do with recording formats, it was due to mythfrontend setup, specifically Paint Engine (should be set to Auto in most cases, if set to Qt it can cause issues in some circumstances) and checking Audio and Video playback using Setup Wizard.

Mike
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

The format of the recordings is the same it's just the file extension that changed to be .ts since in they are transport streams not mpeg files as such so as Mike suggests that has nothing to do with your problem.
BillK
Senior
United States of America

Post by BillK »

Thanks, guys! The problem does (did) seem to be in the frontend setup as you pointed out.

There are just too many ways to screw mythtv up.