Looking for recomendation

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

brianandlauriec
Newcomer
United States of America

Looking for recomendation

Post by brianandlauriec »

Whats the best TV capture card for myth TV?

1. Of course it has to have Linux drivers

2. It has to have good TV reception. (Has anyone else noticed that when routing an HDTV antenna into a TV (Samsung in my case), the signal is clear, but when it's routed into a Haupauge TV card, the signal is weak and breaks up all the time? -- This drives mythTV crazy and TV doesn't record)

Looking for recommendations.....

Thank you!
PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Re: Looking for recomendation

Post by PhilB »

My Hauppage DVB-T tuners are rock solid but when I had a bad, water filled downlead they were not as happy as my Samsung TV.
Do yours have an on-board amplifier? Is it turned on? Multiple transmitters?
Any clues here? https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/DVB-T_Reception_Problems
Phil
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

Assuming you're wanting ATSC tuners, it depends on your hardware and how many tuners you want. I've been using DViCO FusionHDTV7 Dual Express PCIe dual tuners for many years with good results. If buying today I'd look for quad tuners. If you just want one tuner, then there should be a lot that work well.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
GregTippitt
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by GregTippitt »

I love SiliconDust HomeRun tuners. I tried several different cheap USB attached tuners that were for ATSC/OTA with a powered outside antenna, but I was never happy with them. I eventually got a HomeRun (i forget the model number) with dual tuners. It was much more reliable.

I now use the SD HomerRun Prime with Comcast cable TV and love it. It uses a CableCard from Comcast, so I am able to record from HBO and any other channels I'm subscribed to receive. The only restriction is that it doesn't work with Pay-per-View or On-Demand channels. It's 3 tuners works wonderfully.

Since the SD HomeRun tuners attach to your LAN using an Ethernet cable, you don't have to worry about the length of USB cables, which made running cables much easier. You can put the tuner next to your LAN router in an out of the way location, without them needing to be near your MythTV PC. These tuners also work with KODI on Android TV boxes and Windows systems if you (for reasons I cannot fathom) decided to use something other than MythTV for your DVR.
Marcus Aurelius
Junior
United States of America

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I'm successfully using a Hauppauge WinTV Quad HD card with Ubuntu 17.10, with the Hauppauge PPA. I had a bit of difficulty getting it to work. I tried the antenna in the house, then in the attic with an amplifier, then in the attic without the amplifier. My TV got excellent reception with all three. The Hauppauge card worked only with the antenna in the attic, WITHOUT the amplifier. Apparently the card will work only with a fairly narrowly defined signal level.

Once I figured that out, the card works fine.

I chose the Hauppauge card because that was what seemed to be selling on newegg, and at a fairly modest price.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

I agree with the comment above about SiliconDust's products. I have never used a SiliconDust OTA tuner, but my SiliconDust HomeRun Prime works great.

Greg - As you may already know, your ability to watch HBO with Myth using a cablecard tuner is rare. Comcast does not have a copy freely flag set for HBO in most locations.
Ted | My blog