If you were starting with a clean slate.... What OS for Myth box?

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Espry0n
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: If you were starting with a clean slate.... What OS for Myth box?

Post by Espry0n »

Linux Mint Xfce or Linux Mint 64 Bit.
Scopeuk
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by Scopeuk »

I had the same issue with a ryzen board and this tuner with an identical software setup, disabling iommu in the efi settings resolved that one. With the haupauge kernel and firmware the tuner worked as expected in myth, w-scan and kaffine.
I've now run into issues that i need a more recent kernel to get hdmi audio on the integrated gpu, upgrading the kernel drastically to 4.15 got me the hdmi audio but now I can only get sd channels to lock in myth, hd and sd both work fine in kaffine. Will play with a few settings and i guess if all else fails build a more recent kernel from media tree.
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey »

You might want to try extending the timeouts. I found that was needed for hd.
Don't forget the Wiki.
Marcus Aurelius
Junior
United States of America

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

It's me again. Convinced that it's something Ryzen specific, I've rebuilt the box again with an Intel Core i3 of recent vintage on an LGA1151 Mobo. Same result. I'm beginning to feel that maybe the problem lies with the Hauppauge tuner card. No channels found with either MythTV or w-scan.

Attached is dmesg output. If anyone sees anything funny, let me know.although I feel more like crying than laughing.
Attachments
dmesg.log
(75.35 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Marcus Aurelius
Junior
United States of America

Briefly, what is the correct command for w-scan in the US, scanning for OTA? I've added the -t switch with argument 3, but if anything, seems to scan faster.

Is it "w_scan -fa -A1 -c US"?
Scopeuk
Newcomer
Great Britain

Post by Scopeuk »

I managed to fix hd by setting the qam to qam 256 (uk freeview) for the t2 transponders rather than auto.
The setting may vary based on what you local service uses.
Marcus Aurelius
Junior
United States of America

Solely for the purpose of adding some "closure" to this thread, I have happened, somewhat by coincidence to have ended up with a computer running Ubuntu 17.10 as my "Myth Box." The Artful Aardvark won that honor by being the OS that I had installed at the moment I discovered that my problem apparently stemmed from an excessively strong signal into my Hauppauge tuner card.

I am still making adjustments, but the system appears capable of doing what I want it to do.
MickeyRat
Junior
United States of America

Post by MickeyRat »

My answer really isn't for everyone. I'm an Arch Linux user but, when I started with MythTV, decided to go with Mythbuntu (It was still being maintained back then.) for minimum installation and maintenance hassle and getting everything in one package. I liked the features and ease of installation but, the database got corrupted every time the wind blew. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it stable. So, I bit the bullet and went to Arch with LXDE and MariaDB. The installation was a bit of a pain but, it's been stable for the last 2 1/2 years.

The only issue I've had is because Arch is bleeding edge. Sometimes Arch will want to upgrade MythTV before my frontends (Kodi) will work with the new version and I have to block the upgrade till they catch up. Like I said, not for everyone.