Mapping metadata lookup to specific directories

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pHr34kY
Newcomer
Australia

Mapping metadata lookup to specific directories

Post by pHr34kY »

Hi,

I've recently upgraded to v29, but I suspect my metadata lookups have been broken for a while now.

Basically, I have the following subdirectories in my "Videos" directory:
  • Movies
  • TV
  • Music Video
  • Trailers
  • Home Movies (stuff off my own camera)
  • Shorts (basically stuff ripped from YouTube)
  • Talks (mostly TED talks)
I can recall a time in the distant past where I could assign the movie lookup (TheMovieDB) to process only the "Movies" directory, and the TV lookup (TheTVDB) to process only the "TV" directory. It seems at some point the logic has changed (according to Video_Library#Metadata_Lookup on the wiki), and it will now use the TV lookup if it parses a title/season/episode, otherwise it will use the movie grabber.

The problem is, I don't want to perform any metadata lookups on music videos, trailers, home movies, shorts or talks. There is precisely zero chance of anything in these directories being a feature film or an entire episode of a TV show. The grabbers can only possibly return false positives (and they do!)

Is there any way to separate Movies and TV for metadata lookups, but still have everything available for viewing in MythVideo?
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Mapping metadata lookup to specific directories

Post by paulh »

Don't think there is at the moment.

I know if you put a .mxml or .nfo file with the same name as the video in the directory it will use the metadata out of that rather than doing a lookup which will at least prevent the lookup and will allow you to use whatever metadata you want. It does mean having to manually create the metadata files for each file in the directory though :(

We do have a field in the database to indicate the content type currently TELEVISION, MOVIE, ADULT, MUSICVIDEO and HOMEVIDEO are supported although I don't think we have anyway to change that either manually or automatically at the moment. It seems a simple way to fill that field would be a hidden file in each directory to indicate the type of files it contains. That field in the database could then be used to indicate what lookup to run on the files in that directory. Nice simple project for someone to get started with MythTV development :)
pHr34kY
Newcomer
Australia

Re: Mapping metadata lookup to specific directories

Post by pHr34kY »

Thanks Paul.

Another approach could be to expand the expand the storage groups to also include "TV" and "Movies", leaving the existing "Video" storage group without a metadata grabber.

I might play around with it a bit more and see how I go.