On the fly .ts to .mpg?

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

karog
Newcomer
United States of America

On the fly .ts to .mpg?

Post by karog »

With mythtv 0.28-6 I use a HDHomeRun to record .ts mpeg2 transport streams. They play fine but seeking is badly broken only on my Samsung tv with its plex player. I can remux the files with ffmpeg from .ts to .mpg and this fixes the problem but it requires copying the mutli-gigabyte files which I would rather not do. I run mythbackend under Arch Linux on an odroid-xu4 which records just fine and runs plex media server just fine but the copying part of remuxing consumes the machine.

It would be great if I could do the remux on the fly during recording say if I could inject a filter into the output stream before writing to disk. If I could pipe the output thru ffmpeg that would be great. Can anyone comment on whether this is possible? Thanks.
mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Re: On the fly .ts to .mpg?

Post by mythbuntubox »

Have you tried just renaming the .ts files .mpg if they are mpeg2 transport streams? That seems to help VLC know how long the recording is, whereas no time information is displayed at all when the same file has a .ts extension.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

Renaming a file while it is being recorded is not a good plan but you could create a link to the file with mpg extension.
mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Post by mythbuntubox »

Oops, yes, I should have been clearer to indicate that I meant renaming after recording had completed in case you were trying to watch live TV. Thanks for stepping in there, pgbennett :-)