New user question on "questions" and "Kodi vs. MythTv"

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

john75
Newcomer
United States of America

New user question on "questions" and "Kodi vs. MythTv"

Post by john75 »

Hello,

When asking questions on this or similar forums, how do you include example snippits of text from the terminal. Are they somehow cut and pasted into the message or are they included as attachments? In either case, how is it done? Is “screen shot” relevant here?

Another question if you don’t mind. I keep seeing “Kodi” as an alternative to Windows Media Center? Should I be Using “Kodi” or “MythTV” or a combination of both to accomplish my goals as described below.

Thanks, John

About my system
Processor: Intel Core I5 3570K
Mother board: ASRock Z77 Pro 4 with integrated sound and video
Hard Drive 1: WDOEM WD1TB BLUE SATA6.0 HD (1000 Gb) w/Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop OS
Hard Drive 2: Toshiba (500 GB) w/Windows 10 OS
Memory: CRUCIAL 8GB 4X2D3 1333 DIMM CL
Optical drive: LOOEMLITE-ON 12x BD BURNER
TV tuner: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 (two tuners)

About me
I assembled this system in order to better understand computer hardware and to learn something about linux. I have since cut cord and now rely on over the air signal for my TV viewing. Until recently I used Windows Media Center to allow me to pause shows, backup and replay shows and to record one show while watching another. It also allowed me to look at a schedule of programs currently showing and to select future programs for recording. Now I have upgraded to windows 10 and must find an alternative to WMC since it is not supported by windows 10. To this end I have downloaded the relevant files for MythTV to ubuntu desktop, subscribed to “Schedules Direct” and am working up the courage to install and configure it to replace WMC.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Re: New user question on "questions" and "Kodi vs. MythTv"

Post by wesnewell »

You can find answers to all your questions here.
https://www.mythtv.org/
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Regarding cut and paste from your terminal window, it depends on which terminal you are using. Any GUI app will allow you to select any text in the window (and scroll back) and paste it into any program that accepts text. Eg:

Code: Select all

CT-MBP11:mediainfo craigtreleaven$ time

real	0m0.000s
user	0m0.000s
sys	0m0.000s
CT-MBP11:mediainfo craigtreleaven$ date
Thu 26 Oct 2017 08:39:35 EDT
CT-MBP11:mediainfo craigtreleaven$ time date
Thu 26 Oct 2017 08:39:38 EDT

real	0m0.006s
user	0m0.002s
sys	0m0.003s
It is helpful to format pasted-in terminal lines as 'code' as it makes it more clear for others.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
usererror
Junior
United States of America

Post by usererror »

To answer your question about Kodi vs MythTV - I use both. My setup is this:

MythTV .28 Backend, originally built with Mythbuntu package.

1x MythTV .28 Front End on Core2Duo PC originally built with Mythbuntu package.
1x Kodi Frontend on RaspPi2
1x Kodi Frontend on RaspPi3

Why do I have a mix of Frontends? The reason for that is the RaspPi devices are on Samsung TV's that support the "CEC/Anynet" which allows me to control the TV and the RaspPi/Kodi with the Samsung remote.

I just this week tried on the RaspPi3 with Raspian and MythTV, but found that the button mapping wasn't as "convenient" as it is in Kodi so I switched it back to Kodi.
-Mark

MythTV user2007. Dedicated backend - 2x Frontends [rPi2 (Kodi) & PC (MythTV)]
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

MythTV will allow you to do the recordings of TV, and play, pause, schedule, etc. Kodi has a great front end client to MythTV, so, you can use that to play stuff back on your Kodi machine if you have one. Kodi also allows you to access various content online to supplement your recorded content such as content provider sites, or, your own recordings, photos, etc. I would suggest Kodi for all non DVR type stuff.