metadata in video file

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jeremymathis
Newcomer
United States of America

metadata in video file

Post by jeremymathis » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:45 am

Hi all.
I'm looking to come up with a replacement for WMC. Currently I am looking for an OTA TV recorder that will save the show metadate inside the video file. Metadata such as show name, season number, episode number and maybe a brief synopsis. WMC currently does this very well, and then MCEBuddy picks up the file and does what it does.

My problem currently is that with the recorded shows from MythTV, MCEBuddy does not see any information to aid in organizing the shows. Am I missing something in the config? Anybody have any ideas?

PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Re: metadata in video file

Post by PhilB » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:58 am

Yes. Wmc stores metadata in the recording files but mythtv in its own database. See https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/DVR_Service#GetRecordedList for an example of data stored. I am not aware of any conversion utilities.
Phil

dekarl
Developer
Germany

Re: metadata in video file

Post by dekarl » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:59 pm

jeremymathis wrote:Currently I am looking for an OTA TV recorder that will save the show metadate inside the video file. Metadata such as show name, season number, episode number and maybe a brief synopsis. WMC currently does this very well, and then MCEBuddy picks up the file and does what it does.

My problem currently is that with the recorded shows from MythTV, MCEBuddy does not see any information to aid in organizing the shows. Am I missing something in the config? Anybody have any ideas?
It depends on what you want to do. (What is "what is does"? Just export the recordings nicely to mythvideo so it works with Plex?)

MythTV has some of the features fo MCEBuddy integrated, so you can just leave it away. (Had to look it up, so don't nail me on the details)
Or get the MCEBuddy devs to add MythTV support.
Or use one of the many UserJobs for export recordings, with cutting and metadata massaging, to your setup.