Channel Lineup, HDHomeRun, Schedules Direct, Comcast

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

urbnsr
Junior
United States of America

Channel Lineup, HDHomeRun, Schedules Direct, Comcast

Post by urbnsr » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:01 am

Hello,

Our MythTV setup using HDHomeRun devices seemed to be running fine until recently. We have Comcast cable and, I think, a local TV station was sold and may have been required to make some affiliation changes. What we have now is channel 3 and 4 are mixed up.

What I mean is that the Schedules Direct guide data tells me channel 3 is the CW and channel 4 is local NBC, but when I watch channel 4, I get the CW and when I watch channel 3, I get the local NBC. I mentioned this to Schedules Direct and they determined I have a software config problem. When I log into the HDHomeRun Prime (with Comcast's Cable Card), it tells me channel 3 is NBC and channel 4 is the CW.

I assume the HDHomeRun is simply relaying Comcast's line up info and I am also not finding a way to just switch channels within this setup.

Is there a setting I can modify or do I need to go back to Schedules Direct for them to make a change?

Thanks...
Paul

john4512
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Channel Lineup, HDHomeRun, Schedules Direct, Comcast

Post by john4512 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:02 pm

Try going into myth-setup Channel Editor and swapping the XMLIDs of the two channels. Maybe swap some of the other fields as well but I think the XMLID one might be the key.

John

urbnsr
Junior
United States of America

Post by urbnsr » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:51 am

Thanks John,

I have already tried your idea: swapping XMLID's, but that didn't change anything. When I called Comcast, they said I am receiving the channels as I should, but when I check the channel lineup via their website, it is also reversed. I am checking with others with the same service to see what they are receiving.

heyted
Junior
United States of America

Post by heyted » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:41 pm

When I log into the HDHomeRun Prime (with Comcast's Cable Card), it tells me channel 3 is NBC and channel 4 is the CW.
When you used a web browser to view the Prime's web page interface showing your channel lineup, did you rescan all channels? If not, check that you have the latest firmware, and click "detect channels".
Ted | My blog

urbnsr
Junior
United States of America

Post by urbnsr » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:42 am

Thanks heyted,

I just updated to the latest firmware and selected to detect channels. Still, the same lineup.

Thanks

PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Post by PhilB » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:57 am

Would it all work if you swap callsign in your database?
Phil

john4512
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by john4512 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:24 pm

I am not sure what you mean by "the Schedules Direct guide data tells me". Are you actually looking at the downloaded file? Or the data as it appears in the mythtv program guide?

I ask because if you are looking at the program guide it may not all be updated simply by swapping the XMLIDs or other channel information.

Note: I don't know what is involved in deleting the guide data or if that is even the issue. Another option to confirm is look at the raw Schedules Direct file to see what is in it. You should be able to download one using the XMLTV grabber directly.

John

heyted
Junior
United States of America

Post by heyted » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:47 pm

Open VLC
Media > Open Network Stream > http://PrimeIp:port/auto/v3 (something like http://192.168.1.19:5004/auto/v3) > Play
Close VLC

Open MythTV Frontend
Live TV > Channel 3

Do they both show the same channel?
Ted | My blog

urbnsr
Junior
United States of America

Post by urbnsr » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:14 pm

OK - So I went back into the channel editor, swapped the XMLID's, ran mythfilldatabase and now the guide data matches what the channel is displaying. I'm not sure if I did not run mythfilldatabase before or not. This didn't work before, but now it seems "fixed".

This hacks the problem. The problem is still there (sort of), but as long as Comcast doesn't change anything, I should be OK. Comcast has a published list for the channel lineup which matches what schedulesdirect provides for guide data. This is not what Comcast is sending me and others in the same town. Comcast is sending NBC on 3 and the CW on 4. Comcast's internal guide data matches what they are sending, so a stand-alone TV (no MythTV) matches the Comcast guide data overlayed on that stand-alone TV.

My MythTV, I believe, is simply telling the HDHomerun to send whatever the cablecard frequency for channel 3 (or 4 or whatever). The SchedulesDirect data, going off of Comcast published channel lineup, *thinks* the NBC program that I want to record is on channel 4 (because of that published lineup) so the recording schedule sees the NBC program on channel 4 and instructs the HDHomerun to send channel 4 and MythTV records that data. We get the wrong program - Whatever CW program in on at that time.

Not sure this all makes sense, but thanks for all the replies. Right now, we are still getting NBC on 3 and CW on 4 and we swapped the XMLID which changes the MythTV program guide (provided by SchedulesDirect).

Although I don't mind going in and trying different things, it $hit like this that will keep the hands-off TV watchers from using setups like this.

Paul

dekarl
Developer
Germany

Post by dekarl » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:25 pm

urbnsr wrote:Right now, we are still getting NBC on 3 and CW on 4 and we swapped the XMLID which changes the MythTV program guide (provided by SchedulesDirect).

Although I don't mind going in and trying different things, it $hit like this that will keep the hands-off TV watchers from using setups like this.
Did you report the lineup issue to Schedules Direct at http://www.schedulesdirect.org/lineupsupport ?

urbnsr
Junior
United States of America

Post by urbnsr » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:02 pm

That's where I started - Reporting it to Schedules Direct. They initially claimed it was my problem (my MythTV config). I called Comcast and they confirmed that the way I am receiving the lineup is correct. I went back to Schedules Direct and "announced" that I did not have the problem, so SD opened a ticket to confirm with Comcast. That's when I found out the Comcast's published lineup matches what SD is providing, but it's not what Comcast is sending me. !

PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Post by PhilB » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:37 am

It's not a confusion between CallSign and Channel name is it?
Mythtv holds both in the database but as far as I can see only uses CallSign for scheduling etc apart from manual recording when it oddly uses ChannelName.
Phil

urbnsr
Junior
United States of America

Post by urbnsr » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:31 am

Well, I don't think so, but...

I think it comes down to Comcast publishing lineup one way that Schedules Direct captures, but Comcast sends us a different lineup.