Anamorphic projection lens support

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jflatt
Newcomer
United States of America

Anamorphic projection lens support

Post by jflatt »

My projector has a built-in anamorphic vertical stretch that works well, but cuts off the MythTV GUI and subtitles, etc. I am wondering what my options are in MythTV to accomplish the same thing. I can choose Video in the menu and pick V.Stretch, which works great, but doesn't stretch the OSD. Not a big deal really if the UI looks a bit fat. I haven't tested it enough, so I'm not sure what happens, if anything, to subtitles in this mode. I could've sworn I saw the subtitles disappear into the non-visible area, but need to try it again. Also, there is an option in the menu for Aspect Ratio, but choosing something like 2.35:1 zooms the image slightly. What is intended with this option? I'd like to get a one-button toggle for this mode, is there a way to set up a single key for V.Stretch that I can program into a remote control? What would be really cool is a flag in MythVideo to recognize a 2.35:1 ratio video and toggle it automatically.
dekarl
Developer
Germany

Re: Anamorphic projection lens support

Post by dekarl »

Your use case sounds like a modern variation of this old wiki article: How do I get wide-screen TV working on my mythtv box?
Try to setup Xorg to use the native resolution of your projector and tell it the dimension of the picture. This should lead to usage of non-square pixels and everything should "just work".
jflatt
Newcomer
United States of America

Re: Anamorphic projection lens support

Post by jflatt »

I don't think that's quite it, the horizontal stretch is toggled so that basically all video is the same height. The projector is natively 1080p 16:9.
Other complications arise in videos coming from blu-ray, where the letterboxes are encoded within the image itself.
Also, it would be nice to have a variable stretch for the odd 2.4:1 or 1.85:1 videos, where a little out-of-proportion ratio might be preferred to black bars.